Another New Problem with iPhone 4 *Sigh*

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Brokebroker83, Jun 27, 2010.

?

Does your iPhone 4 Suffer from the Robotic Click Sound Issue

1. YES. I followed the instructions and find my phone suffers from the same "Click" sound problem.

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  2. NO. I followed the instructions and find my phone DOES NOt suffer the same "Click" sound problem.

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. I don't care to waste my time testing this out.

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  1. Brokebroker83 macrumors member

Alright the title might be a bit deceiving as it suggests a rather big problem.

It's not.

It's still a glitch/problem though.

If you switch certain apps though the task manager bar, sometimes the iphone will end up giving a metallic echoey sound instead of the regular typing "click" we hear as we are typing on the phone. It starts once you use certains apps and the way to fix it is to restart the phone.

It doesn't affect the voice calling or the speaker when making calls. Only the sound associated with typing on the iphone.

So far I'm guessing its connected with "multitasking" certain types of apps.

I can replicate it every time and was wondering if you guys have the same issue.

Steps to check for this glitch:

1. Start the Pandora app and start listing to some music on the iPhone external speaker.

2. Go back to home and start the Shazam App and click the "Tag Now" button on the top.

3. The Pandora App should stop playing the music so that the Shazam app can listen...though since there is no music playing it will just tell you it can't find the song.

4. Go and open any App in which you can input text and start typing.

5. You should now see that the typing "clicking" sound has changed to a weird robot spacey sounding sound (best way I could describe it).

6. To fix this and get back your original typing sound simply restart the iPhone. :

7. Sit there and wonder if there is something wrong with your phone and whether you should return it. :confused:

So there you have it guys another minuscule issue. I know someone is going to lecture me about nitpicking and I agree to a certain extent. But I feel like when you spend you hard earned money on something —especially from Apple— you expect a certain guarantee of quality.

So lets hear who else is having this issue and is able to replicate it on their shint new iPhone 4.

2. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

I was able to replicate this issue on my iPhone 4. Even closing Pandora and Shazam does not fix the sound. Restarting the phone did fix the issue, however.

3. Brokebroker83 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm I wonder if this has anything to do with the mic/speaker or if this is a software issue.

Any theories people?

4. james92se macrumors 6502a

I was able to replicate this.

To me, it sounds like the "clicking" sound is still there, but at the end of each "click" noise, it has the robotic sound added onto the end of the "click" noise.

Sounds like some of those aliens from District 9 ;)

Wow. after doing the test, I went back into settings and turned off my 3G (I've been doing some non-3G battery testing today). After doing that, I clicked the sleep/power button on the top and got this creeeeepy ~10 second long robot noise. Kind of like a real fast "chuh-chuh-chuh-chuh-chuh" that speeds up and turns into a space-shipy type noise. I then hit the sleep/power button again to get to the lock screen. Once I slid the lock bar across, I got another creepy (yet different) ~10 second long robot noise.

:eek:

Video uploaded of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyWTDU6p5Nw

I restarted and it went away. Don't care much, as I never use Shazam and nearly always have my volume off, but still an interesting glitch!

5. Brokebroker83 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for putting up that youtube video James.

So I guess its an official glitch and not some random isolated incident.

Are you guys going to talk to the Geniuses about this or not bother.

I'm thinking of the latter. Not really worth the time; plus more than likely they will just tell me to "stop doing that". :D

6. NovemberBlue macrumors newbie

I've been searching all over for people having this problem and I have finally found it!!!

Yesterday I handed my phone to my roommate so she could check it out and she went into mail to see what text looked like, then exited to the home screen, then locked the phone and it made that noise - the second noise your phone made in the video. The echoing spaceship laser beam alien robot sound.

We couldn't figure out what exactly made that happen, but she thinks she may have been pushing on one of the volume buttons at the same time she locked the phone.

Over and over again, each time I locked the phone, it made this noise. I restarted the phone (turned off, turned on again - not a reset) and it stopped. So weird, though.

I'm afraid to try and replicate the Shazam problem because I don't want it to get "stuck" doing this. It really freaked me out.

7. Brokebroker83 thread starter macrumors member

You don't need to worry about the Shazam Test because the fix for it is the same as what you're doing right now. Restart the phone and it should be fine again.

Seems like everyone has that issue except for one person...so go figure.

8. james92se macrumors 6502a

I'm not. Like I said, I never use Shazam so I don't anticipate this would ever happen to me again. Plus, I usually always have my phone on vibrate so even if it did happen I probably wouldn't notice :p

9. woodchipsllc macrumors newbie

Hi

Is your iPhone also creates problem every time. I am having problem with sound.

10. Brokebroker83 thread starter macrumors member

haha fair enough. I just feel like if I went to the Genius Bar they would just laugh at me and tell me to gtf out their store.

I'm sure they are dealing with more important issues than this one.

Hey about the vibrate thing. I have a iFrogz case and I can barely feel the vibrations. Do you go naked or is there a case you could recommend.

11. Absent macrumors member

I've had key clicks off, but I heard this at some point within hours of turning it on while switching apps. Can't remember exactly what caused it, but I can also reproduce it in the exact way you've described.

Oh man. It just did it as I received a text message. Was way loud and lasted about 4-5 seconds...

12. Brokebroker83 thread starter macrumors member

So you guys think this is a hardware issue or a software glitch?

Sounds more like mic interference with the speaker to me.

13. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

wow that is weird im scared to try it, but look on the bright side now u can change ur keyboard clicks and lock sound lol.

14. richard371 macrumors 68000

Its clearly a software glitch since you have to do certain combinations of things in the SW to reproduce it. Not sure why it does not happen to some. Maybe its a combinations of other things too.

15. erikjenkins1187 macrumors newbie

It sounds like shazam leaves the microphone open to pick up whatever is coming out of the onboard speaker, IE a big feedback loop. We do this with our push to talk Nextels at work. If we chirp each other and hold the phones close together the same thing happens. I would say Shazam is at fault here, not your iPhone.

16. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

This is not an iPhone 4 problem. My wife's 3GS does the same thing. It's just a software issue on Shazam's part (though I did find it weird that the bug will work using pandora but not the iPod app).

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I heard it and my first thought was "Awesome effect". My next thought was "It's giving me a headache".

18. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

This is silly. How would you even notice this??

19. Absent macrumors member

I heard this before ever touching shazam or pandora. It was also present very shortly after first initializing the phone.

20. Tufflaw macrumors newbie

I had the same exact problem - I got my new iphone 4 yesterday, it worked fine. This morning, got the weird echoing noise at lock - NEVER used Pandora or Shazam with this phone. I was able to fix by rebooting. However, if I try the Pandora/Shazam thing, it starts the noise again. I have an appointment at the apple store today to see what the problem is. When I called, the guy at customer support said he'd never heard of this problem before.

21. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

This is the same problem that others were having with their phones continuously looping this sound after locking the screen. It's definitely the keyboard clicks and lock click feeding itself into the microphone, exiting out the external speakers, then looping back into the microphone. It's basically feedback.

22. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

23. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Do I absolutely need pandora to test this? Can I use the iPod app to test it?

Edit: I could not reproduce it using the iPod app...I do not have Pandora

24. mauijim3 macrumors newbie

noise

I just discovered the noise as well. First time it happened. I was playing Words with Friends, don't have Pandora, so not sure if that is the real cause. Turning off the unit did stop the sounds.