Another Newbie Question :p

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BigManOnCampus, May 9, 2010.

1. BigManOnCampus macrumors newbie

Some of you may recognize me because I have been asking a lot of question lately. So here is my newest question... Should I get the 13" Macbook Pro, or the 15" Macbook Pro??

I am going to school next year with a major in Computer Science (Software Engineering) and I'm not quite sure what types of programs I will be using. Im sure some may get intense sometimes though. And of course I will be using it for a few other things like word processing, web browsing, gaming (Starcraft 2). And im sure there's more.

But anyways, what do you guys think? My dad said that for a graduation present he would put down $1200 toward a laptop. So do I get the 13 free? Or do I put down 500 for a 15". I heard that for coding, all the extra "real estate" you can get is very nice on your eyes and I think I 15" would be nice. I just have to know if it would be worth it.

Thanks

2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Personally, I find the 13" MBPs aren't worth the price; only get one if you absolutely need the 13" form factor. In my opinion, go for whatever 15" model you want, the hi-res screen is a must - anti-glare or glossy is up to you (personally I HATE the glossy screens, matte or fail).

3. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

15" is good. The 13" is good too but you'll need the bigger screen for gaming. As for the 15" trims, I can't say because I don't know exactly what you'll be doing.

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

There have been times when I've been working on a project when the extra resolution of a 1680x1050 display would have really improved my workflow. When working on a program, it's nice to be able to see a larger amount of the code at once than you would be able to with a 1280x800 display. My advice is to go for the low-end 15" model, with either the standard-resolution display or the high-resolution display if you can afford it.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I did a bit of CS on a 15" and hated every second of it on such a tiny little screen. An external monitor, keyboard and mouse will help you immensely when you are working at your desk, and this will allow you to run a dual monitor config. It's quite a productivity boost when you can have documentation/general reference/mail available off to the side so you can run the IDE in full view.

6. danistyping macrumors regular

I'd get the 13" for portability to and from class and go pick up a nice external LCD monitor for 200 or less. You'll save a few hundred bucks and have the solution you need.

You don't need an i5, and won't for years and years. And at your age - those few hundred bucks will help you finance your college fun.

7. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

True, but the 15" should run StarCraft 2 (which the OP expects to play) substantially better than the 13" because of the dedicated graphics card with dedicated video ram if not because of the Core i5.

8. danistyping macrumors regular

Touche, however the 320m in the 13" performs amazingly for an integrated card.

9. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

+1. The 13-inchers on the old Core 2 Duo technology do seem to be a poor value for the money. Further, 13" screens are pretty small - definitely try before you buy.