Another newbie question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Franny4321, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Franny4321 macrumors member

Before I get to messing around and learning Mac, I would like to make a bootable dvd. Is there a way? I have read about re-installing the OS, but if you don't have a disk then what? I just want a safety net before trying to learn how to work this machine. Thanks in advance.

2. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

Do you have a very new Mac? If so you can restore from the Net or the restore partition.

3. Franny4321 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is new and I am learning the os. I just like to have a bootable disk in hand, just in case, I do something bad. I normally can find ways to upset OS. You mentioned a paritition. Do I have one of those? My windows had a recovery drive, but when the windows died I could not get the recovery drive to operate. Gosh, my frustration for the last time (hopefully) and that is why I am using a mac.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You are better off creating a bootable clone with CCC or SuperDuper on a small external HDD.

B

5. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Yeah, check out Super Duper and/or Carbon Copy Cloner. Making a bootable external is a good safety net.

Or this: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433. It instructs you how to make an emergency boot disk from the Lion Recovery HD using Lion Recovery Disk Assistant.

Rob

6. Franny4321 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again for the reply. My puter is running Snow Leopard, so will this Lion app work. Also I am not sure about the internal recovery HD.

This forum is certainly a source of info--even if I don't understand all of it. :) As far as the age of my puter, I bought it Friday. So I am into 2 days of learning my way around Mac.

7. Franny4321 thread starter macrumors member

another question

Yes I know--I have not solved the recovery disk yet, but I have moved to something else. I am running parallel with windows 7 so I can use my old adobe products without buying for Mac. The problem now is none of my serial numbers will install the products. (photoshop elements 7, photoshop cs4, and lightroom 2.2.) I have both numbers for photoshops, but can't find lightroom number. I don't know why they are not working. Any suggestions before I have to call Adobe and be on hold forever.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, the Lion Recovery only works with Lion. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to create a bootable backup of your drive onto an external hard drive. If your internal drive fails, you can simply boot from the external drive, or swap the drives and boot from your new internal drive.

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those searching for the same answers, if you follow this tip.