another newbie question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Franny4321, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Franny4321 macrumors member

As I am still learning Mac, I just noticed that Macbook Pro does not seem to have a place for my sd card. How do you download picts from a camera? I have nikon d60. I certainly hope I have just missed something, for I may have to return the puter if I can't do my picts. Please help.

2. simsaladimbamba

What MBP do you have? The 13" and 15" MBP have an SD card slot since the 2009 models were released in June 2009. Or do you have the 11" MacBook Air?
    You could also just connect the camera with the SD card inside via a USB cable to your computer and use iPhoto to transfer them.

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Like most laptops, you hook up a card reader using USB, or use the provided USB cable that comes with the camera and hook that camera up to the computer and copy the images over that way.

4. Franny4321 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply. My old HP laptop had a slot for sd cards. My camera does have a connection for usb. My Mac is 17 in. MacPro with 8megs, 4.2 whatever. I can't believe it does not have a slot. I bought this for photography since it is suppose to be better. I am so disappointed,

5. simsaladimbamba

If you would have researched the 17" MBP, you would have seen, that it does not have an SD card slot.
    http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-compare.html

I also have a 17" MBP from 2009 and it also doesn't have an SD card slot, I either use an external memory card reader or just simply connect my two cameras via USB cable to the Mac and then use LightRoom to import my photographs.
    I am happy that it does have an ExpressCard slot, as it is more versatile than a stupid SD card slot.

Maybe this can help: http://www.sonnettech.com/product/memorycardreaderwritere34.html

Btw, you have two threads with the same title, which doesn't make it easy to distinguish between them or for users, who search for answers.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I hope you're disappointed in yourself, for buying the wrong machine for your purposes.

7. Franny4321 thread starter macrumors member

I am disappointed in myself. The good thing is I don't have to delete alot of my stuff before returning it and getting something else, I do thank goodness I did not buy the desktop one with this one. I almost bought 2 on the same day. I may have been smarter than I thought.

8. simsaladimbamba

The SD card slot is that important?
    Even as you can get that adapter I linked to, which would give you an SD card slot?

I edit photos, and the 17" has a very good resolution to do so. I had the 15" MBP with its low resolution of 1440 x 900 pixel. It was not fun doing photos and videos on that small screen. Even the nowadays available High Res version with 1680 x 1050 pixel would not be enough, as I have a 20" iMac with the same resolution, and that is sometimes too small.

Anyway, it is up to you, if you let that SD card slot issue get you another computer. Good luck anyway.

PS: Why is using a USB cable not an option? Or the adapter I linked to?

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

10. No Regrets macrumors regular

I personally think that the link you have provided is an excellent solution! I also appreciate your comment in regards to the resolution differences between the 17" and 15" MBP's. I almost ordered a late 2011 15" 2.4ghz the other day because my six year old PC laptop wasn't working right any more....but then I did a system restore and now it is working again, albeit on it's last leg so to speak. So I figured it would give me more time to decide what I really want and possibly make it limp until the 2nd quarter refresh.

I am starting to take up photography and I think the 17" would be a great consideration.

As to your question about why not using the usb cable.....maybe the depletion of the camera's battery is the issue?

11. Franny4321 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the last two replies. Getting a card reader and wagging more hardware around just seems like such a hassle for an old woman. With software and computer, and after spending over $3K, just another purchase to do pictures upset me to the end. I,too, think my HP laptop is in its last leg, but now after buying windows 7 I am wondering if I just format and install 7 it might be ok. I don't know what I am going to do now, but thanks for the replies.

12. No Regrets macrumors regular

13. macdudesir macrumors 6502

Maybe return and get a 15 inch pro with a high res screen? It has an SD card reader.

14. simsaladimbamba

As I never had the two MBPs side by side, the 15" was stolen, I can't comment on that. As I use the matte version, I just have no glare, but I still think the colours are more than fine.

Yes, But you can use CMD++ to enlarge the font in Safari and other browsers. The Menu Bar was quite small, but after a week I was accustomed to it. Some applications like Photoshop also let you change the font size.
    Btw, I wear glasses, though I could also use a computer display for two weeks without them.

No, as it is digital and not analog. In the digital world a 1 and a 0 are still the same after being copied numerous times, though corruption can occur, but only when something with the software is not right.

15. No Regrets macrumors regular

Thank you simsaladimbamba for taking the time to answer my questions. I found your reply very helpful.