Another newbie with NTFS drive situation

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KTPrince, May 26, 2010.

1. KTPrince macrumors newbie

After a lifetime of owning PC's I finally purchased a MacBook Pro running OS X. I installed Parallels Desktop 5, Windows XP, and several Windows apps to have dual functionality.

Now I need to write to my NTFS ext. hard drive where I backup everything. It has 800gb of space left, so it would be a shame to get a new one just b/c I have a Mac now.

So...I first installed MacFuse and then NTFS-3G. Now when I reboot, the ext. HD won't mount at all. What have I done wrong?

Please and thank you.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can format the external to HFS+ (Mac OS Extended (Journaled)) with Disk Utility to get the best compatibility with OS X

3. KTPrince thread starter macrumors newbie

Won't that erase everything on the drive and then make the drive unable to have Windows files written to it?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. KTPrince thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I seem to have done it all correctly. NTFS3-G told me to re-unmount the drive using Windows safely remove hardware, but I can't do that because neither Windows nor Mac can see the drive.

I'm wondering if this is a Parallels issue. Should I have installed MacFuse and NTSF3-G before Parallels, not after?

OR, should I uninstall the separate MacFuse since the NTFS3-G comes with it?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'd try uninstalling, then use the link that I posted to re-install.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, but you can move the files temporarily to other drive. As you now have a Mac and I assume your main OS is OS X, it would be better to use HFS+, even just because of Time Machine. You can access HFS+ in Windows with e.g. HFSExplorer