Another nMP Purchase Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DominusNovus, Jun 10, 2014.

1. DominusNovus macrumors member

So I'm looking at purchasing an nMP soon, as my general purpose home computer. My 2010 MBP is going pretty strong, other than Dwarf Fortress and other games melting the little plastic feet last summer (amazing how hard DF works a machine). I'll probably keep it around for my wife to use, as her old laptop is terrible and I've got to ease her into apple products somehow. My current idea is to have the nMP set up in the living room and use our flatscreen television as a monitor when I can.

Here's my questions:

- How do resource hogging games like Dwarf Fortress do on the nMP?
    - Whats the best way to connect a television to a mac? Wireless is preferable, and I do have an AppleTV. Is the lag particularly bad running through the AppleTV?
    - Any advice on budget monitors? Nothing fancy, something relatively portable would be nice for when I'm not working in the living room.
    - Apple doesn't make a wireless full keyboard (with numpad) does it? Any favored 3rd party wireless keyboards?
    - Are there any companies that refurbish macbooks? Not for resale to someone else, but as in 'hey, my macbook's kinda dinged up, here's $x and my machine, give it a tuneup and glue some feet back on and make it look nice.'

2. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Only thing I can speak on is they keyboard. Logitech makes an awesome illuminated keyboard called the illuminated wireless keyboard.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wire...sr=1-1&keywords=illuminated+wireless+keyboard

It's the best keyboard I've ever used. Doesn't need batteries. It's powered by lithium ion and the charge lasts quite a long time.