Another one bites the dust..

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mccard, May 11, 2010.

1. mccard macrumors newbie

mccard

Hey guys, really glad to have found this forum. I've been looking around for a few days now to try and solve my problem without much success..

Basically I have messed up my jailbroken iphone. I was using a PC application called sharepod to upload music to the device. It seemed to transfer the music ok but when I unplugged the USB the phone went dead. When I tried to turn it back on it just showed the red battery symbol and wouldn't go any further.

I restarted itunes and the device was also not being recognised anymore.

I tried the soft reset (holding the power + home button) and then restarting. It did restart, but when it gets to my lock screen there is a message saying that there is a conflict with some Rock extensions. It gives me the option to disable the extensions and restart but when I try and select this nothing happens, it is totally unresponsive. After about 30 secs the phone reboots and the process keeps looping. There is a brief period before the Rock error appears where my lock screen is displayed as normal. I am unable to unlock, the phone is unresponsive here as well. It doesn't seem to fully charge either, it is always around 6%.

What I have tried to resolve the issue

• Soft Reset (home + power)
    • Restart the PC with the iphone connected via USB
    • Perform a DFU restore (I was going to restore to factory default and then JB again). It gets to the "connect to i tunes" screen on the iphone but when I start the restore it fails with "an unknown error has occurred - error 2002".
    • It was running the 3.0 firmware

I have trawled the net the past couple of days and I don't seem to be getting anywhere. A lot of the suggestions seem to be a couple of years old as well.

If anyone could suggest a way of getting the phone back in working order, It would be much appreciated. I'm at my wits end here :(

Thanks guys

P.S. the phone was jailbroken when I bought it so I dont know what was used to JB it in the first place Blackra1n, pwanage etc.

2. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Hook it up to iTunes and do a Restore on it. Will fix all your issues

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Unless I'm missing something, he didn't mention what type of phone he has (2G, 3G, or 3GS), so just restoring might not fix his issues (i.e., he may no longer be able to jailbreak (unless he uses Spirit) or he may lose unlock capability).

What's your phone, OP?

4. mccard thread starter macrumors newbie

mccard

Sorry, the phone is a 16GB 3G.

Model No. A1241

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

What USB port are you using? Use one off the motherboard and then try the DFU.

6. mccard thread starter macrumors newbie

mccard

OK thanks -aggie-

I did have it connected to the motherboard USB, but I could maybe try it on a different machine maybe. I only tried this once as well so I could give it another go.

By the way, how safe is it to do a restore in itunes with a jail broken phone? And if I do a restore back to factory settings can you confirm if this is possible?

1. Return to facotry default
    2. Restore from a backup taken last week
    3. Jail break the latest firmware again

would I run in to any problems if I went down this route?

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Try other USB ports first. Also reboot your computer.

You'll have no problems going down the route you've chosen. However, the latest firmware (3.1.3) will cause you to lose unlock capability for the near future, if that mattered to you.

You could also use PwnageTool to jailbreak and restore to a prior firmware and thus not lose the unlock.

8. mccard thread starter macrumors newbie

mccard

Damn, yes it would. I have it JB + unlocked (my carrier doesn't support iphone yet). I'm screwed so.

I still have no other choice, ill have to JB 3.1.3 and then just use it as an ipod touch until the unlock becomes available. Better than nothing I suppose.

Cheers for the info anyway dude.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Read my edit.

10. mccard thread starter macrumors newbie

mccard

Thats the answer I was looking for :)

Thanks!

Edit - BTW please stay away from Sharepod. Crap piece of software that doesn't work with the iphone.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I've used sharepod and always suggest it. However, to me it's only a resource to get stuff off the phone in an emergency. It's saved a bunch of people on MR.