Another one of those Stuck In Recovery

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by LuckySpin, Mar 15, 2009.

1. LuckySpin macrumors newbie

Ok I have an iPod Touch, and it used to be a 1.1.4 and i recently updated to 2.0, using a downloaded file from the internet. After that i tried updating to 2.2.1 and since then it has been stuck in recovery mode. I press restore on the iTunes and it does the restoring process and "updating process" but then it just go right back into recovery mode. Can't get it out of that.

I'm on a Mac, so i need a Mac base software if one can get it out. Thanks.

2. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

The way I resolved my issue with this was the go back to the previous working firmware located in ~\User\Library\iTunes\iPod Software Update\

Connect your restore mode iPod touch, hold down option and click Restore in iTunes. It should bring up a finder window. Go to the location above and select the previous firmware.

In my case, the two files were iPod1,1_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw and iPod1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw. Just choose whichever one isn't 2.2.1.

3. LuckySpin thread starter macrumors newbie

hey well i was trying what you told me too, but it won't let me. It says "The iPod could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible."

4. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

That's strange... would you mind listing the files you have in that directory? Maybe you're trying to load up an iPod firmware that isn't for the touch...

5. LuckySpin thread starter macrumors newbie

sure the ones i have in there are

iPod_25.1.3ipsw
    iPod1,1_1.1.4_4A102_restore.ipsw
    iPod1,1_2.2.1_5H11_restore.ipsw

6. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

And I'm assuming you tried loading on the iPod1,1_1.1.4_4A102_restore one, correct?

7. LuckySpin thread starter macrumors newbie

8. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

Crap. I was hoping you had a pre-2.2.1 firmware in there that was 2.0+. At this point, my suggestion is to try to find a copy of 2.2, 2.1, or 2.0 firmware for iPod touch someplace or hit up Apple.

Since we both have the 5H11 firmware for 2.2.1, my guess is the 5G77 firmware will work for 2.2. I'm not too clear about the legality of what I'm suggesting, and maybe if you contact Apple they'll either send you a copy of the 2.2 firmware or give you a refund. I mean, essentially you just paid for firmware that has bricked your touch.

9. LuckySpin thread starter macrumors newbie

well i got the firmware 2.1 and i was able to restore to that one, but then once it was done, it said the same thing, that my ipod was in recovery mode and all that so then i decided to update again to 2.2.1 and again the same thing it being in recovery, and for a second after trying so many things i was able to get to the main menu.. and well i went into an application and the home button wouldn't work.. so i had to turn off the ipod and turn it back on in order to go back to the main menu.. and when i did that.. it went back into recovery mode.

10. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

The only idea I have left at this point is to get the iPod touch into DFU mode and try restoring the 1.1.4 firmware, which is the last working firmware you had, afaik. If you've never done this, here's a video. Timing is critical on getting it into DFU mode

DFU Mode How-to

Good luck.

11. LuckySpin thread starter macrumors newbie

hey well yah i know how to do that.. and ive tried and that's kinda what i have been doing since forever trying to restore it over and over again.. and again i was able to get it out of recovery mode! THANK GOD.... another big huge problem...

The home button is not working... dont know if that's a software or a hardware problem...

i can use the touch screen and i can use the power button.. but if i open an application it won't go back to the home menu, because the home button is not working..

then if i keep pressing the home button or leave it pressed, then i try pressing the power button after all it does is take screen shots... its like if there is a lag on the home button.. any clues on that?

12. thomas200 macrumors newbie

Reply!

okay i keep clicking SHIFT + RESTORE on my itunes 8, and then iPod1_1_2.0_5A347_Restore saved to the desktop, but it says The iPod "iPod" could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible. What do i do?