Another one of those "which should I buy threads"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by starryeyedkat, Apr 12, 2009.

1. starryeyedkat macrumors newbie

starryeyedkat

Ok, I bought (or rather, my parents bought me) an ibook in 2005. Unfortunately, it just died about 4 months ago. I've been using my wonderful boyfriends computer since then, but I'm in school and I really need a new laptop to cart around to classes. I'm in school full-time, so I'm pretty broke, and I can't decide if I am being incredibly silly about which computer to get.

I know I don't need a MBP, I am just using this compy for the internet/email, for typing/printing/saving papers, and for pictures, etc.

I think the aluminum macbooks look so much sleeker and prettier than the white one. Are they actually better computers? And I'd love the illuminated keyboard and whatnot, but is it that computer any better than the other aluminum one?

Help! :)

2. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

The base model aluminum macbook has a slightly larger hd and uses ddr3 memory as opposed to ddr2. You will likely not notice any kind of difference between the two as far as performance goes.
    The high end aluminum macbook has a larger hd than the base aluminum and comes with the backlit keyboard. You probably wont notice much if any performance difference between the two aluminum models either. The only real reason to buy the higher end macbook is for the backlit keyboard... which actually is a pretty nice feature. The larger hd is really not worth it as you can buy a much larger one for pretty cheap now a days.

To sum it up:

White macbook pretty much just as good as the cheaper aluminum one, just without the aluminum case.

High end macbook is slightly faster than the low end aluminum but comes with the backlit keyboard and a larger hd.
    Hope I helped

3. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

for what you are using your computer for the whitebook would be fine. The aluminum (UMB) is slightly faster, but maybe not worth the money for you and your computing needs.

4. starryeyedkat thread starter macrumors newbie

starryeyedkat

I am such a girl! I really want the pretty aluminum one. haha.

Would a refurbished Macbook be a good option?

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yes, for those on a budget the refurbished section is a bargain. You receive the same stuff as a new computer minus the box (don't get THAT girly please :D).

6. starryeyedkat thread starter macrumors newbie

starryeyedkat

haha, nope! I just throw the boxes out anyways. :D

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, it would be a good option. Get a refurb aluminium MacBook. :)

But like natebookpro said, you won't notice any performance difference between the 2.0 GHz plastic and aluminium versions of the machine.

Also, I just wanted to point out that the base 2.0 GHz Al MacBook does NOT have a backlit keyboard. I don't know if you noticed that or not, because you said it was pretty cool and all.