Another one saved

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SecretSquirrel, Aug 6, 2015.

1. SecretSquirrel, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015

SecretSquirrel macrumors member

I acquired these two 1.5 12" machines some years ago and they stayed wrapped up in carrier bag cos I didn't have time to sort them out. However, pulled them out a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd have a go.
    image.jpg

Plugged in the first one and after a lot of resetting PRAM, checking connections and messing about, concluded that it's probably dead. The second was more successful, booting up to the flashing icon. Aha I thought - this is more promising. I quickly opened it up to see about replacing the HDD but it became obvious someone had been in there before me. The missing keys from the keyboard should have warned me but I found that some bright spark had tried to remove the HDD with the wrong tools and chewed up the screw heads. Not only that, but the heatsink screws were wobbling around but still attached! With the help of small hand drill and iFixit instructions I carefully removed the HDD caddy and the heatsink, to find that the standoffs which the heatsink screws should have been holding on to had been pulled right off the logic board! The screws and standoffs were separated in the vice and with a little epoxy, the standoffs popped back into the fittings on the board. I left them overnight for the glue to cure properly and then replaced the heatsink with some nice new AS-10 compound. Going back to the HDD, I'd already got an m-sata drive and adapter spare so in it went.

Put machine back together, plugged it in and off it went. Having maxed the RAM from my spares and installed 10.5 and played around with it for a bit, I'm very pleased with the results although I'm going to have to do something about the display which is a distinctly yellowish white and the fan which has an annoying rattle. :)

2. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Most people have a carrier bag stuffed with other carrier bags :)

3. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

12" PowerBook G4's!

5. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

I can't wait for mine to come tomorrow! They really are so cool looking. The ad for the 12in and 17in PowerBooks is so clever!