Another one.. Which macbook should I get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by i0Nic, Oct 17, 2008.

1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Hey guys, sorry for another thread but I felt I need to ask.

Currently I have a macbook white 2ghz core duo, I want to upgrade to the new macbooks as I have had this laptop for 2.5 years and it's starting to show it's age. I would love to put 4gb RAM into a laptop to speed things up and a bigger hard-drive would be ideal. It is my only computer and I connect it to a 20" cinema display.

I finish university in a few weeks, I used to take my macbook to uni every day but now I can't see myself taking my laptop out of the house too often. But, I do like to use it around the house and in bed, I may take it to friends houses or on work trips (very rarely).

I do the usual things on my computer such as email, net, iTunes, convert some video etc. Essentially a macbook would suit me fine and I prefer the smaller form factor BUT.... I would like to play some games on it. I have an xbox360 for most of my gaming, but I would love to get into starcraft 2 and diablo 3 when they come out. Also I would like to try some more recent games such as Call of Duty 4 and possibly start playing World of Warcraft which I can't even do on my current macbook.

I just wanna know, is the macbook capable of doing this? The other thing is I always kinda felt my macbook was 'stunted', as in I couldn't just run any game I wanted. It might be nice just to have a beefy computer such as the MBP so I don't have to worry about it. But as I said I do prefer the smaller form factor and although I can afford a MBP, I would rather not have to spend that much money on a computer. However I don't want to be disappointed when starcraft 2 comes out and the macbook can only run it poorly, and plus I have an external display so I may have to run it in a window. But I honestly don't really see myself running bootcamp/windows too often to play games so I'm concerned that I will waste my money on a MBP.

What do you guys think? I am very indecisive :S

2. effer macrumors member