Another "Other" space predicament

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by estipe, Nov 24, 2012.

1. estipe macrumors newbie

I have gone through the forums multiple times, and have tried to no avail to get my other space down to the proper <1gb.

I have an iPhone 4, not jailbroken, that currently has 2.4 gb of other space.

The most recent action that I have taken was to restore to new, and then restore from backup. No music, videos, or photos are on my iPhone currently.

I downloaded diskaid and iexplorer to try and find the culprit, but I cannot seem to.

Any suggestions would be more than appreciated.

2. kingdLo macrumors 6502

Restoring from backup is reloading other back on. Only way to really rid yourself of it is to do a complete set Up as new.

3. estipe thread starter macrumors newbie

so will these delete all of my contacts and such? i am okay with redownloading all of my apps, but i don't want to lose my contacts at least.

4. kingdLo macrumors 6502

This is a simple fix. Use icloud to sync contacts/notes/bookmarks/calendar/whatever else you want(using icloud to sync is different than using icloud to backup). Then once you are SURE the stuff is sync'd up(visit icloud.com from a pc to verify this), just restore the phone and set up as new, NOT from backup.

5. estipe thread starter macrumors newbie

great, thanks. is there a way to sync my sms and voice mail to the cloud, as well?

6. kingdLo macrumors 6502

SMS no, but the voicemails should reappear after entering the voicemail password in phone app. Not 100% sure on that though

7. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

1. Neither of them provides access to non-app / non-media directories. You REALLY want to jailbreak - then you'll also be able to backup / restore SMS'es and can have more luck tracking down the "Other" culprit.

2. this "other" problem shows iOS has some major problems. For example, I've made a lot of tests today by creating one million files (to see how it slows down the entire system) on non-jailbroken, 6.0.1 iDevices (iPad 3 & iPhone 5). No matter what way I used to remove those files, I've *always* ended up with at least 800 Mbytes of "other" garbage I couldn't get rid of.

To put it mildly, Apple should have bugfixed their OS a bit more instead of just telling people suffering from this "Other" issue to set up the phone as a new device.

8. laudern macrumors 6502a

how big should the 'other' file be? I've got 1.12g worth. Is that pretty normal?