Another Pages gripe

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by imanidiot, Aug 19, 2014.

1. imanidiot, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014

imanidiot Suspended

Perhaps I'm an idiot (well, well) but I have learned to make do with iWork Pages. There is, however, something I don't understand, and find very frustrating. In working with a long document (in my case a manuscript), if you decide that you want to utilize Find and Replace's Replace All function within SELECTED sections only, you can't do it. You can do it for the ENTIRE document, and you can do it if you want to keep hitting the key to correct each instance only, but risk carpal tunnel after a certain point. Why is this not an option? Surely I can't be the only one banging my (his, her, your) head on the desk in frustration about this. I know that the current itineration of Pages has taken its well deserved share of abuse, but I've gone back to using 4.1, and it would appear that this wasn't an option then, either. If you're designing software for Apple, is this that bloody hard to do?

I've spent all afternoon trying to Google/find a workaround for this, but apparently there is none. Because Apple knows that I don't need it.

End of rant.

2. liya1201 macrumors member

Hey man, I feel your pain. I wonder if anyone has submitted a "feature" request to Apple...

3. imanidiot thread starter Suspended

I don't think it would do any good. Apple knows what we "really" need, which is for OSX to function as much like iOS as possible, because who would need something on a Mac to do what cannot be done on an iPhone?

4. wordsworth macrumors regular

I'd be happy if Pages 4.1 refrained from providing the apostrophe I require but the wrong way round, as sometimes happens. That's a bad bug for a text man to contend with!

I miss ClarisWorks.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have, but I don't think it did any good. It probably got buried with the "feature" requests.

6. imanidiot thread starter Suspended

Update

For anyone interested, I believe I have found a workaround. I downloaded Apache OpenOffice (free!) and their writing program, OpenOffice Writer, permits Find and Replace All within any given selection, sensibly enough. OpenOffice Writer appears to be very MS Word-like in appearance and functionality, which is a mixed-blessing, but still, it's out there, it's free, and for me I think it will work. So, I may be done with Pages, which is a shame, because in the past few years I've gotten to like it for the most part (the earlier version, not the current mess), but it's editing functions leave a great deal to be desired, for me at any rate. Anyway I just thought I'd pass this on.

7. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    I miss the richer featureset of Pages '09. I know Apple promised to resurrect the jettisoned features but it's been a long time now and we're still waiting.