Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

go5gaited

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2009
I currently have a HP laptop that's about six years old. I use it for both work and personal. There's really nothing wrong with it other than it's slow.

I've been looking at the 17" MBP. I think the extra screen size will be nice (current one is 15"). For work purposes, almost everything I do is online. However, I think I still need to have Windows available since work is a Windows environment. I have my OEM XP disc, not sure if I could use that but that's a different discussion. Assuming I do install some version of Windows, I'm planning on using Boot Camp. Anyway, I'm thinking about going the refurb route, 2.93ghz, SSD. I don't do anything (to my knowledge) that is incredibly demanding on the processor.

My current hard drive is 80GB and only half full. Is there any difference between the 128GB SSD and 256GB SSD other than size? I'm planning on keeping the MBP for 5+ years so any recommendations on hard drive size? Should I consider new or is refurb good enough for my intentions?

I've been reading the threads about the new Intel chips (makes me dizzy) and not really sure there's any benefit to waiting. Again, there's nothing really wrong with my old computer. I can learn to be patient. Since I'm going to keep it for a few years, would the new technology benefit me that much?

Sorry for rambling. Thanks for any advice! Looking forward to my first Mac!

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Going refurb is fine. I don't know I would recommend the SSD given that it sounds like you don't have any need for it. Other then that you seem to be on the right path.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I would most certainly go for the SSD, since you'll be doing more menial tasks. The SSD will make your apps open that much faster, it'll just feel nicer.

Also, remember that about 40 gigs of space will go to Windows, windows programs, and your files on bootcamp, and OS X requires something like 20 gigs of space, with iLife and all. 128gb's might be cutting it close.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
I would also go the ssd route. Everything you choose is great. I have a 160gb hd with a bootcamp partition with vista and I also have a ton of movies and music and I still have a bunch of space left so for you 128gb seems like enough. You wont be able to use your oem windows xp disk though since its tied to your hp machine.

opera57

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Good choice :) There are definitely no problems going refurb, in fact some people actually perfer it as it is possible that they more throughly check them. As for difference between 128gb and 256gb SSD, the only difference is the capacity. If you are going to be using boot camp your best bet would probably be the 256gb, as the 128gb would soon be used up with Windows (at least 40gb really) being a sizable chunk!
signature_silverapple.jpg

DaREdBaRoN

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2009
Illinois
I also think that 128GB is cutting it close. My MB has a 150GB HDD and I thought that was a ton, but after installing applications and getting movies and tv shows it filled up quick. And i don't even have windows installed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.