Another PC user buying a macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DivineJustice, Sep 24, 2010.

1. DivineJustice macrumors newbie

I posted this in another thread but only got 1 answer(Thanks! Turian.Spectre) and was buried within another discussion that was similar to it so here it is again.

I have been a PC user since grade 5 and now I'm 25 (about 14 years) and I found this forum recently while searching for the reason why a lot of people were so infatuated with apple products despite there being reasons not to much like the OP is trying to do.

I decided to just work through the immature comments (not in this forum) that talked about how crappy one or the other is and just read up on it. Also, what kept me interested was the fact that I was enjoying the hell out of my iPhone while all this was going and wanted to see how apple laptops has come along so far.

I was drawn back by the price point but I learned about education pricing. I've just started school again as a 1st year programming student and I also talked about it with my prof who was a little bit of a mac fanboy.

I read the forums and I read apple.com site about benefits that apple offers in terms of quality and I'm thoroughly convinced to try this out. I'll probably be buying the 13" one despite being a gamer since I already have a gaming desktop at home and I actually wanna push myself away from gaming and focus on full time work (I also work as an associate producer for a gaming company) and school work.

Do you guys think that it's a bad idea to plunge into the World of Apple[craft] through a 13" macbook pro and I should save up for the 15" i5 one or just go ahead with the purchase next week?

PS. Good to finally talk to yall. I've been reading up on this forum and everyone is so eagerly helpful. =D

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You talk a little about gaming and not gaming, but what other things will you be doing?
    What software do you plan on using?

3. DivineJustice thread starter macrumors newbie

At work, I just started a project involving podcasts so I will be using garage band or Logic express and final cut pro for some promotional video editing. Otherwise, schoolwork that involves programming. I'm hoping to use it throughout my college years.. so about 3~4 years.

4. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

you're welcome =) my answer still stands same. 15 is much better for your use.
    source: me judging from using a family members 13" to do something i needed right then and there. usually end up frustrated and go get my 15" in a different room.
    I'm too fast i guess b/c the 13 can't keep up with me... I end up waiting for it to do whatever I asked to do as opposed to it happening right away. If I bought that for myself I would probably end up regretting it. Happy i decided to get 15 instead.

you can look at my specs in the screenshot if you want to buy something similar. I use mine for study, sometimes gaming, photography work, photo manipulation using Gimp and video editing.
    I bought it in Jan 2010. It cost about 2200 with military discount, I think its the same for students as well. 10-15% ? anyway. Hope this helps your choice.

Attached Files:

5. DivineJustice thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again. Yeah I think I'll save another paycheck to get the 15" one but I was thinking probably core i5 or i7... I get $150 (CAD) off of the i5 MBP and $200 off of the i7 MBP. There's still a $150 difference between the two but if I'm buying a 15" I figure I would pay for the extra processor and better video card.

6. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

yeah i did not know about these cores coming to apple and bought mine back when it was still Duos. looking at some threads and comparisons, there's a pretty good difference. But still, I'm happy =) maybe b/c its my first mac, i dunno.