Another persons impression

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Atimix, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Atimix, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

Atimix macrumors member

Not sure if this merits a new post but I've seen some opened for less. I recently went to see the MacBook in stores and got to spend awhile with several units at my local Apple Store in Indy.

Form Factor: the first major impression I got was the form factor, it's stunning. Yes, we've all seen how thin it is from a computer screen but to see it in person and handle it, it's basically a piece of paper. even though the laptop was locked into its charger, it's weight was not even as heavy as a few hundred page notebook. And after handling it and using it for a little while, it made the MacBook Air behind me look like a toy. Mainly because of the form factor and the ugliest bezel in the world.

The keyboard: the keys are much more flush with the device, which is compelling on a visual scale more than one may visualize. The keys are literally crafted with the form factor, and you can see everything apples said about them (increased size, thinness, uniformed pressing) The keys are very thin, as they need to be, and typing on them was more of a clicking than a pressing experience. It's probably one of my favorite parts about the laptop. If you haven't noticed they've changed the typography on the keyboard as well and it adds to the visual integrity of the laptop. Id like to see the backlight sometime.

The trackpad: Now, I've read some interesting things on this form about the trackpad. Let me clear this up first: It does not move, I don't know who said this and it's kinda funny they think so because it's impressively deceptive. The electromagnetic taptic engine makes the clicks feel much more rewarding, and without a fraction of the force needed. No more diving board force required, just touch it. Apples been able to craft the amount and type of feedback you feel and they've succeeded. I wouldn't want to go back to any other trackpad at all.

The display: To cut to the chase it's a retina display, but there's more. The actual thinness of the bezel allows a more integrated experience. Another thing to mention is the thinness of the actual display. Now, when I used a display model the aluminum hinge did not nearly have as much resistance, I was able to open the laptop without needing to hold the base. This is something I actually wasn't too fond of, I like the stability of my previous MacBook Pro. When I over to another model it wasn't as weak of a hinge, but it may vary. If you're ordering one I'd be conscious of this.

The performance: now this is why I actually came to see it, I wanted to push the machine and see where it tapped out. It should be noted that this was the 1.1 model. I loaded 6 HD YouTube channels, of john Oliver of course, and it handled them perfectly. I ran this for about 20 minuites straight and all was solid, no UI lag. However, when I tried to load a seventh I got some UI Lag. Should be noted that I was also running iMovie in the background. The back side did experience some heat, but as soon as I closed out of safari the cool down was fast. Again, I was trying to find the point where it experienced any issue. To test it again I went and opened about 20 YouTube videos in auto definition and it was able to handle it with no latency, although at this point I had the unit on mute because it sounded like murder. In my rough hour of using a few of them, I would definitely say the 1.1 could run any software alone, however it may not be able to multitask major major processes well. If you're doing what you actually need to do on the machine it will handle it. I don't think anyone here can watch seven HD videos simultaneously, and if you do its probably time to change the way you organize yourself rather than get a machine that can run your useless tasks.

TLDR: Overall, the form factor was the most stunning thing about the laptop, the keyboard and trackpad were so irreplaceably perfect, I couldn't image going to another device without these things. Same can be said for the retina display. And the performance should be able to run what you need. If you're buying a 1.1 and you're organized and focused with your tasks you'll see no issues at all.

For anyone who has questions I'll keep looking at this post to answer any that you have.

To note I've ordered the 1.3 model already, and im intending the machine to be my primary device for graphic design.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I was skeptical at first, but after seeing it in store I'm sold. I'm planning on selling my 13" 2015 pro I just got haha.

I don't need pro power.

3. Atimix thread starter macrumors member

Very few people do. The concensus of; it's not a pro I need the power, is mainly people who don't realize how taxing their demands actually are on their CPU.

I sold my MacBook Pro to put toward this device already.

4. Geert76 macrumors 65816

exactly the same here! :cool: (already sold mine 2014 Pro 13 inch)

5. paulopadopa macrumors regular

Why not return it?

6. keviig macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat actually. Selling my 2015 13" Pro for this. Just 4 weeks of waiting now...

7. newellj macrumors 601

I did the same yesterday and had the same general conclusions. The weight and thinness have to be seen to be appreciated. The overall effect is much greater than you would expect just looking at the dimensions on a web page.

I did approximately the same thing with YouTube videos but set them at 1080p, but I had to kill the volume by the second or third tab because people in the store were looking at me like they wanted to kill or institutionalize me. ;)

8. Asthmatic Kitty macrumors member

Asthmatic Kitty

thanks for the review, i enjoyed reading it.

nice to hear you're a fan of the keyboard, the performance is good, and that it doesn't seem to get too hot - these are my only concerns.

I ordered one today, and as I'm in Europe I've not been able to have a play on one yet - but I reckon I'm going to be delighted with this thing, from what the reviewers have said.

9. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I've been telling people the keyboard is among the biggest winners with relation to the rMB.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Well if I can get it in the next 2 weeks I will. I bought it at best buy and have a 45 day return policy as an elite plus member. My 45 days end 4/27

11. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Yes please return it so I can buy it on Cowboom (owned by Best Buy) for a deep discount :D

12. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

If it's outside of my return window, I would sell it here for a nice discount :)

13. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

The only thing you said that slightly worries me is the hinge this. I have a 2012 13 MBP and the hinge is super tight. Enough to move up the edge of the whole 4.5 pound machine if you don't have a second hand holding it down. I quite like this, it feels sturdy and quality.

I hope the hinge is sturdy enough that it won't feel like it will get loose or anything. I'm probably making a big deal over nothing though.

14. sasha.danielle macrumors regular

I noticed that in the Verve's video review there was a shot with the macbook the guy's lap and the screen had some noticeable wobble.

15. PittAir macrumors regular

Just got back from trying one out at our local Apple Store here in suburban Pittsburgh (they also let me try on a watch while I was there without an appointment). I've owned every iteration of MacBook Air since the first ones came out, and I'm typing this on an i7 8GB 2013 11 inch one.

The reviews (that I have read at least) in my opinion are slightly too negative.

The screen is awesome, the keyboard is absolutely fine, and the speed for typical things that everyone does all of the time is fine.

As an example, I had Safari open running the live Masters feed and using Powerpoint and Word on the 1.1 for about 20 minutes and it was perfectly fine. No different from my MacBook Air.

Sure, I'm not editing video or playing intense games. I travel a lot for work, so sure the single USB-C could be an issue, but unlikely.

However, this beats my current setup in every way. I read somewhere that after using the MacBook the Air seems like a"last generation" computer. It's true that I feel this as I type. This is the future.

16. Atimix thread starter macrumors member

I feel the same way, the hinge needs to be sturdy. I did see various degrees of strength with the units I used, but if you're sitting at a desk the screen wont wobble at all because the base of the unit isn't moving. I'm sure it will be at least sufficient.

17. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I have 14 eyes and resent the way you're judging me.

My father was a spider. ;)

18. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Best comment I have read in a long time

19. newellj macrumors 601

Not so sure. It bugged me. Seemed like the kind of thing you'd read on the web. :eek:

20. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Spiders aren't bugs, they're arachnids. Stop stereotyping my family!