Another portfolio site

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by samwich, Jan 4, 2009.

1. samwich macrumors regular

I've been on this site for awhile now, and seen many portfolio sites come and go, and I've enjoyed looking at them and giving/reading feedback. I recently finished my site

samwirch

Let me know what you think. It's a portfolio site to display images I've made in 3D programs and websites I've worked on.

The CSS in the navigation is kinda cool if I don't say so myself. The divs if you look at it the list items overlap eachother, but on the rollover the margin/padding changes to display the whole image. (This works correctly on every browser except IE 6, where the margin/padding doesn't change.) Also it was more difficult than you would think to get the layering effect of the menu being behind the content etc.

Otherwise, I tried to make a easy to navigate site, with clear content, so let me know what you think. I'm open to criticisms and comments. Thanks for looking.

-Sam

2. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

there isnt much to it yet, and im guessing you still have a lot of work to do.

Its not bad. But it needs something. Looks wise. Im just not sure.

over all nice.

3. dcubed20 macrumors member

First off, I applaud your willingness to use bold typography in your navigation. I have a few suggestions, though.

1. Your spacing isn't exactly even. Part of this comes from sacrifices you had to make to get everything the same width. For one, you wound up adjusting the tracking, but the tracking is different on every line. Also, the text on each line is a different size, which leads to an inconsistent line spacing. I can tell that you're putting an equal amount of space on the top and bottom of each line, but then you run into ascenders and descenders ruining the balance. Also, for what it's worth, little things like the I and the L in "Wirch" and "Blog" aren't lining up.

2. The problem with making everything the same size is that you give up the ability to indicate through text size the relative importance of items. You've unintentionally made 'gallery' a lower-class citizen than 'blog' or 'web' merely because of the text size.

3. I'd use a different font, probably something a geometric or gothic typeface. Try Helvetica or Futura for starters, and don't be afraid to experiment with all-caps or different weights to set off your name from the navigational elements.

4. dcubed20 macrumors member

i got to thinking about it, so I threw together a little sample of what I'd do in the same situation, just to get the juices flowing.

Attached Files:

5. samwich thread starter macrumors regular

Ah sorry I haven't gotten back on the replies. Thanks for the input on the navigation. I guess my thoughts were some people complain about navigation being hard to read/find. So I thought I would put a big block of it on the homepage in a way that still looks alright.

I made a photoshop document and I'll play around with different fonts/weights/caps when I have time. Thanks for the inspiration.

Any other comments/criticisms?

6. geekindisguise macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

i think it looks awesome!
    But I saw that on the little Shadow on the home page is cut off on the bottom. Might want to fix that little thing.
    Also on the home page, is your blog gonna all be on there?
    If so, then it is even cooler!

The only trouble I had was that I couldn't find your contact page at first.
    Since your name doesn't change in any way on mouse over and I never saw the little clicker cursor.

What did you use to make it?

7. samwich thread starter macrumors regular

Nice find, I will fix the shadow later tonight.

The site was basically laid out in photoshop, sliced/saved for web, put the pieces back together in a text editor, and made template php files for integrating Drupal. The site runs off drupal so I can easily update it, have a nice blog and contact form built right in.

For more info check out drupal.org

Thanks again

8. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I'm not keen on how the blog page shifts to the left compared to the others...

otherwise I kind of like the whole look and feel of it (without being too picky)

9. samwich thread starter macrumors regular

thanks design-is, I agree I guess I just made sure every page was centered in the browser, but I'll probably make the content area appear in the same place on each page.

I'll try to get some of this done on this weekend. Thanks for the feedback