Another possible reason for the $329 price...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    So there are the more obvious reasons

• not wanting to undercut the $299 iPod Touch
    • Because we know you'll buy it anyway (i.e. it's worth it)
    • Not wanting to get into price wars of the "race to the bottom"

I think those are all reasonable possibilities. But here's another idea.. To leave room for a $100 discounted last gen iPad mini in the future.

Think about it. If the iPad mini were released at the $249 or $299 that we had wanted, would you really expect Apple to lower the price next year to $149/$199? I think that's just crazy talk. So in a year the iPad pricing could be as follows.

$229 - iPad mini (1st gen)
    $329 - iPad mini (2nd gen)
    $399 - iPad (4th gen)
    $499 - iPad (5th gen)

2. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Nice thought, but basically the price is what Apple believes the consumer will be willing to pay, and based on the social media buzz, I am sure Apple will hit its sales targets and millions will be sold before christmas.

3. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

It's the premium design, materials and experience.

Yes it's more expensive than the competition but its also better than the competition.

4. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

When the iPad mini 2 comes out, the first one will sell for $229 like they did with the iPad 2

5. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

1. The iPod Touch should have never been priced at $299.. it's sales have been slowing down rapidly.. I expect it to slow down majorly this year. If they needed to increase the price of the iPod Touch, make it $249.. not $299.

2. Tech people will buy it anyway, maybe not so much the mass market (which is where most of Apple's profits come from.

3. Apple never aim's for cheap pricing. They priced the device high even with undercut specs.

6. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    isn't that what I said? :confused:

7. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

Willing to bet the iPad Mini 2 will also have retina screen.

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Apple believes that the iPad is the future and that the iPod touch is in decline, a $249 price point wouldn't have changed much as people now use their phones as music players.

For the parents that have been buying the iPod touch for their kids, from $299, $30 more will now get them an entry model iPad. I can see many people making the jump.

I know it is still not a cheap price, but I remember a lot of people buying the iPod touch when Apple dropped the price from $229 to $199, so to many people a $329 entry price is easier on the wallet than $399-$499.

9. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Exactly.. which is further proving that iPod Touch sales will probably tank this year.

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This year Apple finally fixed my biggest issue of why I hated the iPod touch, the stainless steel back that scratched real easily and they improved the camera as well, and what do they do, they introduce the iPad mini. I considered buying the new iPod touch but opted for the iPod nano and waited to see if Apple would release an iPad mini.

11. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

It just seems like the iPod Touch is really for that niche market of kids that are too young to have a cell phone. And with it being priced so close to the iPad Mini now, it would make sense to get that instead for them. As you'd basically be giving them a computer/mp3 player together.

12. walmartmartyr macrumors 6502

ipods are for kids that can't have iphones. simple. and their are lots of kids getting old enough to have ipods. sales will keep selling. but the price is too high for giving it to kids. $200 is better to swallow if they come home with it broke.