Another Potential PC-To-Mac Convert!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bwb934, Jul 5, 2008.

1. bwb934 macrumors newbie

im thinking of converting from my 3 year old vaio to a new Mac, but i don't know which one i should get
    These are the things i use my PC for:

--Music my library is about 3 gigabytes
    --Photos: i have an ever-increasing library of photos which is currently 13 gigabytes, i use sony's pictre motion browser to sort everything by date it was taken
    --Image editing
    --Video making
    } i tend to install a lot of software and (my current 60 gig HD has only 2 gigs of empty space)
    }i DONT like heavy laptops, mine is only 4pounds, 13.3 inches (i wouldn't mind the same size but i prefer something lighter)

What do you recommend i should buy???????????????/

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Welcome to the fold. Definitely MacBook. If you burn movies to DVDs, get the mid-range MacBook, as the cheapest one still has a combo drive that no one uses. if you're not burning, then the cheapest one will work fine.

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yeah...

Macbook. You don't do anything terribly taxing. What kind of software do you install that takes up so much space?

4. bwb934 thread starter macrumors newbie

can you be a bit more specific?
    i thinkin of the macbook air bu its Hd capacity is holding me back, ethenet makes no difference with me, andI can get over it having no cd-drive

5. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

What he's saying is that the low end Macbook only has a Combo drive, which only burns CD-Rs, but once you get into the midrange Macbook or the Black Macbook they come with Superdrive's, which burn CD/DVD.

I'd go with the Macbook if I were you.

6. dylangurl21 macrumors regular

I would probably do a macbook also but it depends on how important that size factor is to you and what you would rather sacrifice: space/speed vs size for a main machine. My sister's MB seems pretty tiny to me (going from my MBP) but the airs are very, very sweet.

I had her go with the midrange because of the superdrive... between the extra space DVds can hold to backing up/burning DVDs...

7. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

A Macbook is probably fine but remember to check if all the software you use is supported by OSX or, if not, there is a decent alternative available.