Another question about the black (high level) MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TheKingIV, Apr 14, 2008.

1. TheKingIV macrumors member

Does it come with software (and/or hardware) that will allow me to record directly onto the computer's hard drive from cable?

Like if I wanted to record a football game that was on CBS, could I just plug my computer up to the cable (don't know how...need advice there too), and have it go directly on my computer?

What would I need to buy if the computer doesn't come with it?

How big of a file would 3 hours of TV be on my hard drive?

2. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

I just posted this in the other thread, but, unfortunately, Macs don't come with this ability right out of the box. It would be sweet if they did, but they don't. At least it's fairly easy to get good products. www.elgato.com has great stuff for this. 3 hours would be about 6GB. Cut out commercials and it'll be shorter, and the Elgato software has great tools for that. You can always make the quality smaller, but that's up to you.

Also, elgato comes with Toast basic. If you're planning on keeping the videos for a while, invest in DVDs, and burn them to DVD, or get an external HDD. :D

3. stealthninja macrumors member

stealthninja

you would need a tv tuner to record cable tv onto your laptop. there are a few options made by such companies as elgato, ati, pinnacle, and others. I think all come with software but depending on what file format the software records in will determine the file size.

4. TheKingIV thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info imfrog...So if I'm looking to do this, you're saying it's going to cost around 200 dollars?

Yikes...

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Very few Windows laptops have NTSC video-in out of the box, either, FYI.