Another question re: using Windows (VM Fusion)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by WannaApple?, Mar 23, 2009.

1. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

After getting the information last week, I installed VM Fusion and Windows XP on my Mac as I need to connect to certain websites for work that would only work on Windows/ IE 6. Ever since I installed Windows and have been using IE 6, I cannot get connected to this ftp server that I need to access. I have played around with the settings in the Windows firewall by adding an exception and turning it off, but I still cannot connect.

I was wondering if the fact that Windows is being run as a virtual machine on my Mac would have anything to do with connection problems? Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on this? Anything I can try?

Already gone the route of tech support for the company that owns the server. They have gone through all kinds of troubleshooting and testing my ip to make sure it isnt blocked, but it seems I'm the only one who cant connect and I cant help but think there is something not right with Windows being installed on my Mac.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The OS X firewall or your router might be blocking it.

3. WannaApple? thread starter macrumors 6502a

*sigh* I checked the Firewall in OS X and set to allow incoming connections to that server. Not sure if there is anywhere else I need to check, or set?

Also checked the router and from what I see and understand, everything looks normal.

I guess I dont have a complete 100% understanding of what resources from Mac that VM Fusion uses or how Windows works through Mac, but all I know is that I cant connect to this particular server, and there are no problems on their end...so it must be something with my setup.

4. WannaApple? thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, after more research I finally found the problem. Just an update in case anyone else has a problem after using VM Fusion and Windows. As long as you are using your home connection, select the BRIDGED version of network connectivity rather than NAT. NAT was selected by default upon install, but a change to Bridged and a reboot fixed it! :D

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Where is this setting for future reference?

6. WannaApple? thread starter macrumors 6502a

When Windows is open, there are a few black icons in the bottom right of the screen, below the taskbar. There is one with an arrow that allows you to open network settings and you can just select Bridged, NAT or Host.