Another Quick Question About Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by John Doe 57, Jun 30, 2008.

1. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I'm going to buy Leopard for my iMac on Wednesday (7-02-08) I just need to know if Leopard will save all information of the users. Ex. - will it delete the Contact Information in the Mail Application or does it not even effect it?

Thanks.

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

If you install using the upgrade path, all of that will be untouched.

3. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Now does it matter what kind of way I install? I'm still going to get the full package with this "upgrade path" right?

4. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Yes you are. It's simply because you can install in two (actually three) ways:

a) upgrade Tiger to Leopard. Since the first edition of Mac OS X (10.0) the Mac OS was designed to be be upgraded without needing a clean install.
    b) archive and install. This will archive the old preferences and users, and install the new system on top. From here you are able to import the old settings and users in a jiffy.
    c) Completely clean install. Only recommended if you have no important data or a backup handy to import from.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I would highly recommend NOT installing via upgrade. Backup your stuff either with an external HDD or DVD's and do a full erase of Tiger and install Leopard on an empty formatted HDD. Too many times people are reporting problems after upgrading to Leopard and it's mainly due to using the upgrade path or Archive and install. Yes, the upgrade option is available but it works best from a new install of the older OS and then upgrade to the new OS. I understand you have important data to save but it will save you from headaches down the line if you just do a fresh install of Leopard on an empty formatted hard drive.

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

I've used the upgrade path from the getgo, 8 computers with no problems. I do , however, recommend a clone of the existing drive, before doing the upgrade (just in case you run into a problem).

7. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

OK. The main reason for the upgrade is because the Utilities Folder was deleted and the Tiger DVDs can not be found. Now that being said, I have 3 questions:

1) How do I back up Contacts?

2) Clean Install takes a while right?

3) Do I need to erase my HD or will the Clean Install do it for me? The iMac has a 160GB HD with 88GB Free.

8. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I never use upgrades ever.

Just back up . It's a lot less headache later.