Another RAM-Buying Thread - NewEgg's "Mac Compatible" vs. Not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by astrostu, Nov 26, 2012.

1. astrostu macrumors 6502

Searched for this, couldn't find it, so ...

Cyber Monday 'n' all and I have a 2011 MBP with previously upgraded to 8GB of RAM. OWC is selling 16GB RAM for $95. Meanwhile, NewEgg is having a Cyber Monday (supposedly) sale for $45 on 16GB of G.SKILL RAM with the same specs. But, if you navigate through NewEgg's menu system and select that the RAM needs to be compatible with Apple stuff, it's not listed, and the cheapest is $70 (still less than OWC).

Ergo: Do I need to worry about whether NewEgg officially states it's compatible, or is it just the spec's that matter? I thought the latter, but I wanted to make sure.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I have always went by the specs and so far have been fine. Never wanted to pay the premium for the same specs but branded mac compatible

3. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

It will work. If not, you have the Newegg Iron Egg Guarantee Return Policy, for a replacement or a full refund.

4. vladster macrumors member

But you'll have to pay the shipping.

Only the third set of 16gb ram worked for my mid 2012 '13 pro. I tried Mushkin from new Egg and two Corsair from Fry's.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

With RAM I usually just match the specs and read the reviews. On the first two pages of reviews I see half a dozen good reviews from Mac owners and one bad review. I'd say you're good to go.

6. astrostu thread starter macrumors 6502

Heh, yeah, I was literally just about to post that and say I'm going with it when I got the e-mail ping you posted this.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

As long as it is the right size/specs, it will work. There is no need to overpay for OWC RAM.