ANOTHER reason I'm happy to be switching to Mac...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Turnpike, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

I bought an iMac desktop and absolutely LOVE it! For years I've been wanting to upgrade my mother's computer (she is not computer literate AT ALL) for her, but I cant buy a new PC because I want (need) to keep it XP because she nearly fell apart when her solitaire game (that is on the OS) was different looking when I tried to upgrade her last time with a new computer (Vista was the new one at the time). So I've been upgrading (as much as possible) this old PC for years now....

Now with Windows 7, many new computers can't have XP put on them because there are no drivers for the parts the Windows 7 computers are built with.

I know it's bootcamp, but I find it amusing that I can't buy a XP capable Windows computer new, but I can walk right into an Apple store with an XP install disc/sn#, and walk out with a BRAND NEW iMac with XP running perfectly on it.

I just love Apple! :)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Cool story. Windows manufacturers are doing the world a service by not supporting XP. Lack of XP support is a feature, not a bug.

3. lamboman macrumors 6502

No offence, all you've really is said that Macs are superior to PCs because of solitaire...

I know it's not exactly the same, but running Windows XP now is a bit like running 10.2 on a Mac. You cannot expect support to continue for a 10+ year old OS. And quite frankly, not that many people have a reason to avoid Windows 7, it is by far the best Windows OS yet. And those that still "require" XP should really be looking at updating their tools to use a newer OS now (though yes, for some "if it works don't fix it" does apply to XP).

4. belvdr macrumors 603

An Apple Store will install Windows XP for you on a new machine?

5. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Given that the s in store is lowercase, I'm assuming it might be a reseller. At least that would be the case here in Seoul since there aren't any Apple Stores here.

6. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

XP will only run in virtualization mode on Snow Leopard and Lion, Boot Camp is not designed to run XP however some hackers have gotten it to work but like any hack it's 100% unsupported. By virtualization I mean you need either Parallels or VMWare Fusion, there is a third virtualization app that's free but it's name escapes me at the moment.

7. belvdr macrumors 603

You missed the point of my post, being that an Apple Store would install a Microsoft OS on a Mac for you sounds strange.

The third application is VirtualBox, by the way.

8. LS3 Machine macrumors member

Cp

Win 7 has windows XP available for free. I'm not sure if it's in all versions. It's run within win 7 and called wp mode, done thru virtual machine. It works perfect for me, as I have a few really old windows apps that I use the xp mode for. I'm sure there are plenty of free or low cost solitaire games for every operating system.

9. Indy500fan1977 macrumors newbie

Win 7

Unless something has changed recently, as long as you are running Win 7 Pro (32b\64b), you can download it. I think it installs Virtual PC and then the XP software.

10. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Be sure to run software update to deal with the new malware threats.

Apple just joined the ranks of the big boys :)

11. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

The free one is by Sun/Oracle and is called 'VirtualBox' and it is updated frequently. Top quality product. On a late 2009 mid-range 21.5" iMac, mine runs ubuntu linux, Windows 2000, Windows 98, and Windows 7 perfectly. I've never used bootcamp, no need to.

12. belvdr macrumors 603

That's what I said an hour ago. ;)

I had issues with VirtualBox and Check Point software. It would just lock up so I had to go with VMware. That's a specialized case, so most people likely won't find any issue with it.

13. Indy500fan1977 macrumors newbie

My bad...Actually I forgot the other important part. It needs to be Win7 Pro or Ultimate (or Enterprise).

14. Turnpike thread starter macrumors 6502

Turnpike

YEP! And they were nice about it. They helped me solve a problem and thier equipment did what the CREATERS of the XP OS couldn't do- give me a new working machine that could run the software. It was a problem I've been trying to find a solution to for years now.

I've only "discovered" Apple a year and a half ago, and every new revelation has been an impressive, happy surprise. Truly superior products, (both hardware and software) and most of all, USA based customer service, phone support, and great help in the real-life stores. Love it. I just love it.

And just to be clear- I went INTO a physical Apple Retail Store in the local malll with a XP disc and SN#, bought a new iMac, and the guy sat right there and helped me load it and make it work. Awesome.

15. Herdfan macrumors 6502

They sell both VMWare and Parallels so why not?