Another Red Light Ticket Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by theARNSKI, Aug 24, 2010.

1. theARNSKI macrumors regular

I'm sorry if this is redundant, but I'm really tripping out here...

Yesterday, I picked up a couple friends from the San Francisco International airport, back from doing some 10-day nursing volunteership in Panama. We dropped on of their classmates home and afterwards we ended up going to the nearest fast food so my other friends can get some food to eat.

Since I wasn't (nor were my friends) very familiar with the area and it was nearly 2am, I was driving in a slow and steady speed so that I won't miss any turns to get onto the freeway that the GPS would mention. When I heard my GPS say "Freeway exit on the right in 0.1 miles," my attention was completely diverted to everything on the right of the street.

Next thing I notice, one of my friends was saying "red light...red light...," and by the time it clicked to me what it meant, I was well into the intersection. I panicked and I just sped through the rest of it. I've never ran a red light before, so I wasn't sure of what to do...

I dunno if there were any cameras and I don't recall seeing any flashes. So this morning, I've been looking up sites that show red light camera locations and some sites say there is a camera there and some sites say there isn't. I don't know which to believe. Is there any way I can check to see if I got a red light ticket? And also, by how much does insurance increase if you get a red light ticket?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I wouldn't worry too much. If you get one it'll come in the mail. If you didn't... then it won't.

You'd probably have to call your insurance company to find that out. It most likely depends on the company, how old you are, if you're male/female, etc etc... there's really no way somebody here could tell you for sure.

Just be glad you didn't hit anybody and nobody hit you.

3. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I don't think your insurance will increase because the camera doesn't know who is driving the car. Another reason why red light cameras doesn't improve safety.

4. theARNSKI thread starter macrumors regular

Right on. Thanks for the quick reply.

It's funny you say the last bit because it really was a blessing that we didn't get hit. As ashamed I am of saying it, when it clicked to me what my friend meant about "red light," I was being honked at by an oncoming ambulance. Just in total confusion and panic, I sped up and there was a car coming on the other side of the ambulance that broke just in time.

I felt really bad as I'm normally a safe and sure driver. For the rest of the trip back to Sacramento from San Francisco, I was pretty shooken up and I kept telling my friends I was sorry. They were alright with it, brushed it off since we were all okay, and I think just forgot about it because they were caught up in telling stories about their 10-day trip.

But I'm pretty nervous for that ticket, should it come. I've been reading that red light tickets in that area cost $446......

5. mariahrg macrumors member

mariahrg

i was told that if you get a ticket from a camera, they will mail you the ticket. after you get it you throw it away and pretend you never got it. you must be personally served with the notice to hold up in court and to be fined for the violation. just like being sued, someone must serve the paper work. if you read at the bottom of the ticket it says something like "by signing this you are waiving your rights to be served" and basically just pleading guilty. i think they hope youre dumb enough to sign it and mail money without a fight. good chance they will not come to your house and serve you. also, i believe they expire after a certain amount of time, then the court tosses them out.

i just went through this with my boyfriend. he got two, 1 min apart in phx az. that was months ago and nothing has happened.

good luck!

6. MelissaMudge macrumors newbie

Update?

This is for Mariahrg - any update on the ignored ticket? I just got one and am considering ignoring it, but am curious to hear from someone else who adopted this strategy. I'm a little worried about the threat that a warrant for my arrest will be issued.

7. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Great idea...let us know how that works out for you :rolleyes:

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Uh, wrong. Like any other traffic tickets, tickets sent by mail are legally binding.

9. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

If there was a camera and you got caught running the red light, you will get something in the mail. Fines and penalties vary depending on where you live. In Dallas, it's $75 but you don't get anything on your record.

For those who are guilty and try to ignore or fight the charge, I say take responsibility for your action. If you don't want a ticket, then don't break the law. If you don't like the law, then work on getting it change.

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Except these cameras aren't very reliable. There's one in particular on highway 380 north of Dallas that I've seen no fewer than 20 times snap a picture of someone legally turning left when the light is green - the stupid camera thinks they're going straight from the other direction, where the light is red. Sometimes you need to stand up for yourself if you're wrongly accused of something.

11. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

If there is no flash, there is no camera. Also, I have seen FIRST HAND a lot of red light car crashes, and they aren't pretty. Be happy that you didn't hurt yourself, anyone else, or the passengers depending on you to drive them to their destination. A good friend died in a red light car accident (though it was because a drunk driver ran a red light) If you get a ticket, just man up and pay it.

12. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Just because a flash went off, that doesn't mean you got a ticket. A cop reviews these before they get sent out. In the image, you can see the status of the light, what lane # you're traveling in, and so forth. If it goes off, and you didn't break the law, 99.9% of the time, you won't get the ticket. I have ran over the sensors (during a turn) going the wrong direction before, and it didn't trigger the cameras. You never got wrongfully accused if you never got a ticket in the first place.

I know here in Phoenix, you can go to a website with your Notice #, and you can view a video of you breaking the law...akin to a CCTV camera catching you stealing. Kind of can't lie your way around video evidence.

In the event that the .1% you got a ticket for something you didn't do, thats what court is for.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

while that is true every picture is reviewed by someone and from there they decide if a ticket is sent out.

Also I know in Dallas and Houston if you get a ticket you can view a recording of the event. Doing that reduced the number of contested ticket greatly because it generally shows people running a red light.

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You can't miss a red light camera flash as it's blinding even in full sunlight. If you "didn't notice one," there wasn't one.

15. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

You are trying to promote red light running? Whatever has happened to taking responsibility for your own actions? Or is it all now always someone else's fault?

Also, you do realize that they do have process servers handing these out for idiots who think its ok to do what they want on the road.

I am not all for speed cameras, but I am sure all for red light cameras. Red lights mean stop!

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

At night, yes. During the day, no. There are models of cameras that do not require a flash during the day.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, grow a pair, and grow-up.

Always. ;)

18. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

The nice man is right. :D

From your post, you sound like a decent person endowed with a conscience. Do the right thing - if you get the ticket, pay it. I don't know if it will bump your insurance, but you'll find a way to manage. In Mass, first ticket is "forgiven" by insurance co.

As for the joke - forgive him for he knows not what he does :p;)

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

That was very Lordly of you. ;)

20. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I've had the red light camera go off on me before while making a right hand turn on red, which is legal unless there is a sign. I have never received a ticket.

I have had friends who received tickets for stopping beyond the stop line or sign. That reinforces me to remember to stop before the line or sign.

21. codymac, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011

codymac macrumors 6502

They're not necessarily reviewed...

http://www.wbaltv.com/r/26821379/detail.html

And not all cameras in DFW offer video.

I've been ticketed for this. Stop behind the line, ease up to make a right since you can't see past everyone on your left, stop again, and hello citation. Even if you make the turn legally, you can still get one.
    :mad:

22. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Was the front of your bumper in front of the line? Did you wait 3 seconds before your eased up?

23. codymac macrumors 6502

Absolutely not over the line when I stopped and I had to wait for traffic to clear the intersection before pulling up.

Stopped, waited for traffic to clear, eased up to verify it's clear, made the right turn, and here's a ticket in the mail.

None of the attorneys I spoke with would fight it since the cameras were new. The handful I spoke with said to just pay it since it's a civil charge, doesn't go on a driving record, and it would cost at least as much as the citation to fight it.
    :rolleyes:

It's a nice way for municipalities to skirt the system and get what they're really after. If it were about safety, it would be criminal, go on the offender's driving record, and be able to be picked up by the state's driver improvement bureau (which suspends/revokes licenses for repeat offenders).