Another refurb (extra) success story

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by netnothing, Dec 13, 2010.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

My first experience with the refurb store.....just awesome. Everything just perfect. Not only did I pick up the 2010 2.8 Quad for only $2119, I just realized that they put the 5870 in it.

Thanks Apple!

-Kevin

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Nice, I love the refurb store, Enjoy that computer.

4. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

I don't know why people are so deathly afraid of refurbs. When you buy a refurb you're still buying a NEW machine! Its not like you're buying a used or demo machine that only had its HD wiped.

And as you found out, what they sell you only has to meet the minimum specs listed, there is no law saying they can't give you a machine that exceeds the specs.

5. ycookmd macrumors newbie

That's cool the OP got a free upgrade. Congrats.

The only downside to refurbs is that they are rarely available from resellers these days. It used to be that you could find super sweet deals on refurbs at Small Dog and other online vendors. Usually with the refurb discount and no sales tax, you could save a ton of money. I haven't seen refurbs consistently listed at the major resellers for a while.

If you have to buy a refurb through Apple, you save a bit off the new retail price, but have to pay sales tax if you have an Apple Store in your state. On a $2400 Mac Pro, that's about $200, and takes a bit of sweetness out of the deal. It might mean you don't really save that much, versus a tax-free new purchase from MacMall.

Of course if you get a bonus like a free graphics card upgrade, then it's definitely a good deal -- but that's not something that happens with most refurb purchases. Usually you just get the base product. I've purchased 6 or 7 refurb Macs through the years and never found a bonus upgrade. :-(

6. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

This was my first refurb experience and it has been great. Other than the box it shipped in being white, and the box with the keyboard saying Apple Certified......it's new. Actually, it's probably better than new since they had to run full diagnostics on it. Plus you get the added plus of maybe getting something extra.

Only downside is you have to wait for newer products to show up in the store. So if you like to buy something right after release, you'll have to buy new.

-Kevin

7. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

One of the few benefits of living in New Hampshire.....no sales tax. :D

-Kevin