Another rMBP Screen Burn-In Thread + Applecare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sonicrobby, Jul 29, 2013.

1. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

So last time I checked, I believe I have the 1st gen LG screen in my 15" 2012 rMBP. I have not noticed any signs of the screen burn in problem. Would this mean that I wont have it in the future?

I have not ran the IR test with fears that it may bring out the problem, but with the warranty running out in November, I feel like I may as well try and get a replacement if the problem is there. So is the IR test the best way to bring out the burn in problem if it exists? Are there any other tests/conditions I can put my rMBP through to see if I can bring out the problem?

Also, what are the conditions of getting Applecare? I just have to purchase it before the warranty expiration in November, correct?

And if I did get a replacement/refurbished model, would the Applecare be transferred over to the new MBP? (something about how its registered to the macbook serial number and a refurbished replacement may have a different serial number).

Lastly, a bit off topic but for those of you with wisdom to share; if I plan selling my rMBP and get the refreshed model (hypothetically, lets say its released in october), what is the likelyhood of me selling the rMBP with less than a month of warranty available? Should I get applecare to increase my chance of sale since 1 month of warranty might drive people away?

Thanks in advance.

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

If you really need to, run the test and watch out in every day use, like closing a Safari tab after 10 minutes. If you have it, you won't get a replacement but rather a replacement screen.

3. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

apple usually gives you an option to transfer the apple care or to refund it. The new laptop does have a whole 1 year warranty. For my replacement they advised me to get the refund as if i transfer it, it wouldn't be two years.

Apple does not replace the entire laptop unless they have worked 3 times on a particular part, or they decide that the laptop has to many hardware faults which would not be worth repairing.

If you do not see IR in your daily use then you do not have IR at all. Apple does a test to check for Ir if it fails it then only they will replace the screen. But if you have dead pixels they will replace the screen(depends on the place you go)