Another screen issue thread: I can't find one that has the same issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by carreragt7, Jan 1, 2011.

1. carreragt7 macrumors regular

Hi there.

I've got an original macbook 1.83 that I forgot I had in my electronic parts container. It works completely but it has these little horizontal lines that are moving/flickering but that go away depending on the background color.

The lines don't show up in screen shot images, and I don't have the right adapter/dongle to test it with an external monitor.

The following three images are taken with my phone to show the issue.
    Anyone with knowledge on what could be causing this particular screen issue please chime in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

Looks like it could be a failing GPU. The only way to be sure is to try it with an external monitor. If it works fine on the external monitor then its the monitor on the laptop if not then its the GPU.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I've seen that issue before and yes, it's almost certainly a failing GPU. As the previous poster suggests, try an external monitor to be 100% sure.

4. carreragt7 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info! I was kind of afraid of that, but I didn't really want to go pay $30 for an adapter/dongle just to find out the computer isn't worth keeping.

I'll see if one of my friends have the same laptop so I can borrow their adapter.

If it is the failing GPU, is the only fix a logic board replacement? Or has anyone been successful in any repair of some sort? Like a shim fix?

Last night I took the whole computer apart and used my QD Electronic Cleaner on it, this morning it still has the same issue.

5. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

If its the GPU it won't be worth fixing everything is integrated it would cost a lot of money.

6. eman macrumors 6502a

The GPU is soldered to the motherboard. If the GPU is failing, might as well find a new machine.