Another self-congratulatory/observational silver 2016 MBP thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, May 15, 2017.

1. thadoggfather, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017

thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

So now that the 2016's have been out for a while, and from polls, general census, space grey heavily outweighed silver for this redesign. and understandably so for people who have been on silver forever now (most Mac users). and I went silver because I had a space grey 12" for almost two years so silver was novel to me and tried and true but that isn't the point

BUT!

I am SO SO glad I went silver nTB. All I see is SG Macs at the coffee shop (in the wild). No one is stopping in their tracks to observe my 'unique' silver Mac ever, cause at a glance it just looks like any ole Mac not a 2016 necessarily (to the non discerning eye), and Macs are a dime a dozen period. I don think anyone is stopping In their tracks for SG now that they've been out for a bit, and in 12" form, even longer.

but woo !

this thread isn't about silver being the superior choice aesthetically, I just love that its the underdog.

I don't think I've seen a SINGLE silver nTB in the wild. definitely seen SG nTB, and A TON of the 13" and 15" (nTB period seems quite rare in the wild in my city's coffee shops)

2. csurfr macrumors 6502a

The thing I've noticed the most is that the space grey shows any kind of fingerprints and smudges.

3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

for sure, and even my silver is smudge-y, currently

I don't eat alongside using my Mac, but I've been rather slobb-y with using my Mac recently in general, (actually using it, honeymoon phase is way over) aside from cleaning the screen when its noticeably dusty,

4. csurfr macrumors 6502a

I don't either. It seems anything you have on your hands ends up on the case.

I don't recall my 2015 showing prints this much.

5. Greene macrumors regular

Greene

Space gray is a very attractive color - But I went silver for both of my '16s. I had a Gold MB for a year, and quickly learned I prefer a very neutral color.

What I would love is a ceramic white. Would be scratchy, no doubt, but what a great color for an apple laptop.

6. csurfr macrumors 6502a

At 1250 for the watch, what would Apple charge for that?! :eek:

7. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

id be down too! would be great homage to classic white Macs/macbooks but without the plastic that always came with it.

I love when the silver 2016 looks frosty in some lighting,

wouldn't pay too much more tho. maybe a +100 uptick. even just arctic aluminum.

I don't mind the black glass bezel either, but a matching silver / arctic color bezel would be amazing.

I wish the bezel were the same aluminum finish/color as the keyboard case, like a pre-unibody,

the single sheet of glass with black bezel is overplayed on the Mac laptops by now Imo, even tho I prefer that they're trimmed down from previous rMBP

8. Greene macrumors regular

Greene

Hopefully less of a mark up. Anodizing a pure white would be really hard, so there would likely need to be a different process finishing this color - so there would be a premium. But I doubt it would be the ceramic premium, it's not the best material to make a notebook frame from.

9. richinaus macrumors 6502a

you don't want to drop your laptop if it is made out of ceramic !

10. IPadNParadise, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017

IPadNParadise macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

I think you've been in that coffee shop drinking coffee so long your brain is addled

11. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

haha what

people stopping to check out a computer in a coffee shop? i've had the space grey one since they came out and worked on it in public every single day, and no one has ever stopped to ask me about it hahahaha

12. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

My MBP doesn't go to coffee shops so it only gets admired by me. I still love the space gray color and am glad I chose it. I never see finger prints on it but maybe that's because I'm compulsive and only use it with clean hands.

13. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

I still have 3 Silver MBP laptops along with the 13" and 15" which are space grey.

I always thought the silver looked old and cheap and it I much prefer my backlit keys shining up at me without the bright silver surround.

While people overwhelmingly prefer the grey, there are still a ton of silver machines out there, so my unit is still the color-underdog.

Year after year of silver....sheesh. I'm much happier to have something different at last. Also: The grey models are built better! ;-)

R.

14. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

I'm leaning silver myself. I like both colors and was super excited by the space grey when it first came out. But now...every new MBP you see is space grey. It kind of makes the silver one seem surprising and kind of fancy...

Will have to wait until I am employed again to actually make the purchase :-(

15. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Haha that's why I stated nobody is stopping to look at the laptop, either color

As for observing what laptops people are using, I'm observational.