Another SGS2 review

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PlatinuM195, Oct 23, 2011.

1. PlatinuM195 macrumors regular

I've used my iP4 for over a year now and really wanted a change so I bought the SGS2. Here are my thoughts on a few small things.

The screen:
    The screen of the SGS2 looks great most of the time, however I find the colours a little too oversaturated and the pixel pitch difference is definitely noticeable. I'm not saying that the SGS2 has a bad screen, but after getting used to such clarity on the iP4 it just feels much harder to read even though it's so much bigger.

Also, the screen size didn't quite suit me. I mainly switched due to wanting a change in OS and phone form factor. After I started using the SGS2 for an extended period of time it was clear that I couldn't use the phone as easily with one hand. I could still use it, but the thinness combined with the screen size made gripping the phone and general usage more difficult.

The OS:
    Ok firstly, Android feels like a completely different OS paradigm that iOS. I tried touchwiz for a few days before using CM7, Oxygen and MIUI. These all had their own benefits and some of the themes looked great but many of the themes looked terrible. Customization gets a little boring after a while too but this has made me aware that I sometimes would rather just get into my work on the phone rather than tweak it.

One thing that I was a little too accustomed to was notifications on iOS. On every Android ROM I could find, it seems like notifications pop up on the status bar but you can't really customize them any further. Some apps I could customize in the app, for example Go SMS I could set so that I received a popup on txt message receipt which had a reply text field built into the popup. There was no system wide notifications customization though like in iOS. If I wanted badges for the number of unread emails I had, or if I wanted notifications to appear or not appear on the lockscreen.

There was a lack of a good stocks app. I thought the iOS stocks app was a little too simple sometimes but at least it was very polished and it generally worked. In general there also seemed to have a lack of many polished paid apps that were present on the iOS app store.

Scrolling in Android vs iOS definitely feels different although I didn't go into depth attempting to customize it on Android. Firstly input lag, it feels as if Android doesn't stick to your finger as much as on iOS. Worst was in touchwiz where it felt like a good few hundred milliseconds but on other ROMs the input lag was definitely there. I don't want to sound too cheesy but with input lag the OS doesn't feel like an extension of your body anymore, it rather feels like I'm using faulty hardware on my desktop PC which normally I'd replace immediately. Next, animation framerates feel much smoother on iOS (60fps smooth) whereas on Android, even in hardware accelerated browsers such as the Samsung touchwiz browser the scrolling and multitouch still didn't feel up to par. This combined with the input lag does not make for a good browsing experience in my opinion.

I'm not sure if these scrolling effects are immediately noticeable to everyone, I might make a short video demonstrating it later on.

Battery life:
    iOS wins handsdown. I usually get about 6 hours+ usage on my iP4 with around 15-20 hours standby. This I compared to about 4-5 hours of screen on time on the SGS2 with no widgets and using a battery extender program.

Conclusion
    Overall I will still use Android for now, using CM7 with Go Launcher and Go Launcher Notifications EX for app notification badges. I am definitely enjoying some parts of Android and although the workflow is quite different I should be able to get used to it over time. Since I spend a lot of my time in the browser it's quite useful to be able to find a browser according to my wants (tabs, full screen mode etc.).

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

The iPhone 4S has just as bad battery times.

I just went from 100% down to 1% within 3 hours and 57 minutes of 3G usage browsing the web.

So no... iOS doesn't win that part anymore :(

3. Captain America macrumors 6502

Don't really understand why you would want to stick to the SGS2 after essentially saying it sucks in comparison?

4. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

5. Captain America macrumors 6502

But you seem to have established that your battery just sucks (not saying that it isn't true) but I don't think everyone is having that same experience.

6. PlatinuM195 thread starter macrumors regular

The Sunk Cost Fallacy. I made all the effort to switch to another platform and it feels like I would be wasting 'something' if I switched back so soon :p

7. hobsgrg macrumors 6502

Yep when I went from iP 4 to SGS2 I thought that SGS2 was bad for battery life, but when I switched to iP 4s that is even worse than SGS2! The SGS2 is an impressive phone but the screen was just a bit too big really, made it awkward to handle and the quality of apps is nowhere near as good on Android

----------

I made the switch, regretted it and switched back as soon as iPhone 4s came out, wish I'd never gone to android but no regrets about switching back

8. thenerdal macrumors 65816

This could be the same about the GSII. Some people have good, some have bad.