Another "should I buy" thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by schwin54, Oct 16, 2011.

1. schwin54 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

So I'm thinking of finally taking the plunge and switching over to :apple:. I'll be graduating from uni this semester and will be moving to Korea for at least a year to teach. I really want to buy a dependable machine and feel that I would have some piece of my mind with a mac. At first I wanted a machine with all the bells and whistles but after evaluating my budget and how much the upgrades are vs. actual performance I think I might settle for a base 13" Macbook Pro. I was thinking of maybe getting more RAM or a SSD but now I'm leaning towards the idea that its not really necessary for my needs (i.e. web/word processing/itunes/watching videos). I was wondering if someone could back me up with my choices and whether or not I should hold off. The site recommends Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle, is it really worth the wait? Any recommendations?:confused:

2. some idiot macrumors member

Small updates should be coming by the end of the month. It's worth waiting at least a couple of weeks to see what these updates are before buying.

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Well ask yourself. Does this device completely meet my needs? It sounds like it does.
    Will apple likely to a redesign?
    Probably not, the base monel will likely become a little more upgraded and everything else will be a little mkroe (instead of a 320gb hd a 500gb hd may be standard)
    You don't really need an ssd but they really make performance scream
    Ram is reallly cheam 8gb, for 50$ so if you want get it. Have you considered a refurbished macbook? For 849 they are an excellent price although you lose your i series proccesr, backlit keyboard, and sd card slot.
    You could also buy a refurbished and when concrete proof comes out about a new one, resell it.
    Hope i helped, Paul

4. schwin54 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've looked into it and correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it make more sense to go w/ the base 4G of RAM and then install 8 myself? Could I technically do this with a SSD as well?

5. lou2ser macrumors newbie

You're moving to Korea? I'd buy nothing now and buy a super cheap laptop when you get there. There are tons of neat gadgets over there that never make it over to the states.

6. Quinoky macrumors regular

Quinoky

You mean the KIRF crap that's not even close to the superb quality of the MacBook Pro? Yeah, great suggestion. :rolleyes:

7. Crunch macrumors 6502

Crunch

Yes, never buy RAM or hard drive upgrades or SSD's from Apple. And yes, you can install the RAM yourself as well as swap the hard drive out for an SSD. You can even kick the optical drive to the curb and install a 2nd SSD instead. You can still use the optical drive with a cheap external enclosure.

Oh yea? Like what? :D

8. Minhthien macrumors 6502

Kia's Mecbok!

9. bryanc87 macrumors newbie

Haha why is it the assumption everything in the east is cheap and better? I go back to hong kong every year and the tech are mostly other models of Samsung crap that's not remotely like the galaxy 2 and there is a pc market that sells cheap pcs but in the thousands and all claiming to be high tech and advertise that LCD screens are new generation lol

If you want the best of the best ten I suggest you go for high end apple MacBook or a custom us or uk built custom pc like I had a long time ago it everything else are just variations of each other.

Yes there are some good pcs in te east but I think people are overrating the far east for tech, they're ahead but not THAT far ahead.

10. LeiQQ macrumors regular

LeiQQ

The Republic of Korea and Taiwan are two different countries but a lot of the Taiwanese stuff with parts made in Taiwan and assembled in china cost more here than in the USA. It's all about market. Too much competition in the USA so they charge less. Don't just think Asia equals cheap. This especially goes for us companies. Hard drives are so expensive here in comparison to the USA even though a lot are manufactured in Thailand.

11. Danno21 macrumors regular

Danno21

Indeed, not everything is cheap in Asia. I've had two foreign exchange students. One from China and one from Japan, and they both said things are so much cheaper here in the states. They were mainly talking about clothes and food, but I am sure Apple products are cheaper here, especially with how poor the dollar is doing right now.

12. LeiQQ macrumors regular

LeiQQ

Only the iPad 1 was cheaper here in Taiwan. Everything else is so expensive. I want to buy a base 13 and it's about $100US more expensive.