Another "Should I Buy?" thread

Discussion in 'iMac' started by whobeadrian, Feb 8, 2012.

1. whobeadrian macrumors newbie

whobeadrian

Yes, I know. This is another "Should I buy an iMac?" thread and most of the people here might be tired of people asking the same question but I think sometimes it's good to get input from different sources.

I've been doing my research and I'm well aware that the new refresh should be coming sometime this year. I'm a PC user switching to Mac so I want to get something that at least holds me up 3-5yrs. I've never been the type to want to own the latest and greatest unless it was truly worth it so I'm fine buying last year's model and even getting a refurbed one to save some extra bucks. So I guess my dilemma is just wondering if the new one could truly be worth the wait. I don't want to buy the mac only for the new one to have way more extras than the one I bought. A couple things here and there, I could live with, for example the 2010 model compared to the 2011. Not sure that I would want to be the guinea pig and test out a completely new and revamped product that's full of bugs only for them to refresh and fix them midway through the year and repackage a refreshed version.

One more thing. Typically when new products roll out, does Apple reduce prior models in price significantly? for example a couple of refurbed iMacs I was looking at are:

Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
    Originally released May 2011
    21.5-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    1TB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics with 512MB memory?
    Built-in FaceTime HD camera
    $1,249.00

and

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
    Originally released May 2011
    27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    1TB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics with 512MB memory?
    Built-in FaceTime HD camera
    $1,419.00

Like if I wait a bit longer, could it be possible the 27" drops below $1400 or should I just pull the trigger and get it now? My HP desktop is on it's last leg but might be able to pull it through a month or two ;).

2. Blue26 macrumors member

I just bought a refurb 27" with the exact config you quoted.

Also first timer switching from PC.

Personally I'm thrilled with it, and thanks to this forum for the clue about the refurb systems, I wouldn't have expected such a deal.

My PC was a i7 gaming box, and it screamed, but I'm done gaming and for all the other productivity programs I work with, I'm good with this Mac.

There will alway be a faster (slightly faster) machine on the horizion .. unless they announced a major overhaul, I saw no reason to wait. It didn't seem the 2010 models on their site were discounted further ..

3. Tombs macrumors regular

Tombs

It's a crystal ball you're after ;)

You may want to wait to see what the next incarnation of the iMac has to offer. The last 3 different updates to the iMac have only offered better cpu, gpu and options for SSD and thunderbolt. If you can hang on the next version of the latest iMac could be something quite special or as before just the latest hardware updated in which case you can buy todays version slightly cheaper or take the plunge and buy the newest version going.

Depends on how desperate you are in needing a new PC....oops :apple:

4. noahc macrumors member

Personally, I'm waiting. My G5 iMac is 6.5 years old and not really working but I feel that the next iMac will be enough of an improvement to wait for it. I'm hoping it comes in March or April and not summer.

5. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I am waiting, I am using my 13" 2011 Macbook Air as my only computer for the time being, and it is working perfectly. I can easily wait, I have the money ready for a 27" iMac. Stay strong.:apple:

6. Spike88, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

What do you plan to use the iMac for? re: Typical home user stuff? Or, are you into games (that needs much higher CPU & GPU power)?

For non-gamer, the current i5 model works great. If wondering, the i3 CPU works great for non-gaming tasks as well. If into gaming, then one might want to wait.

7. whobeadrian thread starter macrumors newbie

whobeadrian

Def not a gamer, least not on computers. Plan on using it for typical home stuff (email, internet browsing, watching movies, kids school work, etc.).

8. Tombs macrumors regular

Tombs

Then you won't need a very powerful iMac, that base model will suit you fine.