Another should I get a MBA thread...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Billy Hoke, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Billy Hoke macrumors member

I just recently purchased my first desktop in a long long time in the form of a 27" i5 quad-core iMac.
    Im a university student and was looking at the possible purchase of a Apple laptop so I waited for the"Back to the Mac" event.

Now im faced with a dilemma, im in the market for a portable computer but for which one?

The new Macbook Air is:
    13.3"
    1.86ghz C2D
    2GB ram
    128gb flash
    $1,594 AUD*

On the other hand is the Macbook Pro:
    13.3"
    2.4ghz C2D
    4GB ram
    250gb HDD
    $1,329 AUD*

My iMac is obviously my primary computer, so the laptop will just be for lectures, notes and other school work. Seems pointless to buy the "more expensive, less flexible (ability wise)" air doesn't it?

* = after education discount

2. altecXP macrumors 65816

Your in college and can afford an iMac AND a laptop? dang you got a heck of a side job. I would have just merged the purchases into a i7 MacBook with 8GB of RAM, HR screen, and then get an external display.

3. Billy Hoke thread starter macrumors member

Fortunately, yes. My employer seems to over-value my services, which is quite obvious as im at work right now. :)

I had a Dell laptop up until my iMac purchase a month or so ago and never thought I needed a laptop, I was wrong. Going to Uni is just that much easier with a laptop.

4. bdeitemeyer macrumors member

Go for the Air, you'll love its convenience when it's with you at school all the time.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Read the comments on this thread started by Tim100

:cool:

6. Billy Hoke thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, but it looks like I will be paying more for the Air that has "half" the specs as a Pro?