Another 'should i keep my iphone thread...'

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kaiser Phoenix, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

Hi guys/gals,

Im sorry for another thread concerning whether I should keep the iphone.

Basically my situation is that I am on THREE (UK) at the moment and the reason why I chose them was because I could use SKYPE through their THREE network anywhere in the UK and its working wonderfully and that was the main thing.

Now, the iPhone does everything else that i need i.e. Internet, email, ipod, ical etc and EDGE is actually fine for me as I live in central London and is not as slow as I thought.

However, this means that I will need to keep the current phone for Skype and the iphone for everything else meaning 2 devices which kinda defeats the purpose of the ALL in ONE idea...

Im aware that there is a SKYPE thing on the iphone that goes through the browser but that is skypeOUt and you have to pay which defeats the purpose of having skype.

So my dillema is that should I wait for next year june where they will most likely release a 3G iPhone and then probably it will have skype on it?

Thank you

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I don't think you'll ever see a built-in skype client (takes too much revenue from the provider), but once the SDK is out in Feb I'm pretty sure a native Skype app will follow pretty quickly. Don't understand the need to wait for 3G - Skype or other VOIP solutions should work fine over EDGE.

3. Kaiser Phoenix thread starter macrumors 6502

Thing is, THREE offers SKYPE for free on the THREE 3G network.

Ive also heard that SKYPE is shocking on EDGE as it is too slow to cope with it, even 3G sometimes doesnt work properly.

4. tonywob, Dec 6, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  5. Kaiser Phoenix thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah but I am ON THREE at the moment and I use skype 24/7 unlimited useage. Im sure other companies can offer it too if THree can.

Ive only got 7 days left to return the iphone, i wonder what I should do...

6. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

iphone has unlimited usage as well :p ....... plus you can tether it to your macbook and use the internet from your phone :D

plus bluetooth to macbook = 100kb/s average

wifi to macbook (iphone tethering) = up to 250kb/s

7. tonywob, Dec 6, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011