Another should I wait thread...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by rlu929s, May 17, 2011.

  1. rlu929s macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    #1
    I am looking the buy a Macbook Air. I currently have access to an IPad 1 and a 17" Dell Workstation Notebook (aka the beast).

    Here's what I'm looking for.

    Mainly something I can take with me every day to work. Kind of how some people carry IPads around, although I can't seem to get much done on the IPad as I like my keyboard.

    I run several online sites and I'm mainly going to use this over my lunch breaks at a coffee shop or something to code on my sites, very light image editing, browse the internet, post on social networking sites etc.

    So I've read all the facts. The rumor is that the MBA is coming in June with a SB proc, but a suckier GPU. I'm currently seeing the 11" go on eBay for Sub $800 and can get it refurb through Apple for $850.

    So, with my requirements above. Is it worth waiting or even paying the full premium or should I get one for cheap now?

    Or wait awhile longer and the price comes down.

    As you can see I have options to get my by. It's just that the IPad doesn't fully meet MY needs and my wife has overtaken it.

    The Dell was a good thought when wanting a gaming PC, but that thing is heavy and huge and sucks to lug around.

    That's why I'm thinking MBA.
     
  2. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2004
    #2
    If you can wait, you should.

    The current 11" MBA seems like it'll fulfill you needs just fine, but if you wait till the SB Model comes out, the current 11" will be $750 or less from Apple, and probably even less on eBay, etc...

    Plus you'll also be able to see what else the 2011 model comes with - and based on your needs, the inferior GPU of the LV/ULV SB chip shouldn't make a difference - but Thunderbolt or more RAM standard, or a longer battery life may?
     
  3. ann713, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  4. octatonic macrumors regular

    octatonic

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2010
    Location:
    London
    #4
    I bought one 2 weeks ago and I think you should wait.

    Reason being as good as the current ones are, it would be great if I had a bit more CPU grunt.
    If I wasn't doing 12 international flights in the next 8 weeks then I would have waited too.

    I reckon I will lose around £300-400 between now and July if the new ones are released but it can't be helped.
    Seems like we have similar usage patterns.
    You will love it when you do go for it- I am sitting in my local cafe, updating my websites over my iPhones mobile hotspot connection.
    I tried doing with with a 3G iPad but I also prefer my keyboard.

    Are you thinking of the 11 or the 13?
    Again, if it wasn't for the fact that I am flying a lot I would have gone for the 13.
     
  5. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2010
    #5
    At this point I would def wait to see what this refresh will bring. You will also find better deals on 2010 models when new ones hit the shelf
     
  6. rlu929s thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    #6
    I will probably go for the 11" model, so it's that more portable. I going to run up to Best Buy and play around with them today and make a decision on size.

    But I will for sure wait until June to see what happens with the said rumor. If it doesn't happen are we looking at probably Sep/Oct?
     
  7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

    eawmp1

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Location:
    FL
    #7
    Another "If you need one now, buy one now."

    However, new Apple computers are their best "value" on release day as the prices generally stay the same and the technology ages. However, the best overall value is a refurb or clearance older model soon after a new model is released.
     
  8. OSMac macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    #8
    Buy now based on price and need.

    Right now a nice used base 11 is $800 or so,
    it would drop to 650-700 once the gotta upgraders
    start dumping them over the next couple months.

    So if you do decide to upgrade it will cost $100-$150 to have one now.

    The current one sounds fine for your needs but it also does not seem you need one right now,
    Waiting gives more choices.
     
  9. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2004
    #9
    The latest update says "June/July" now - so it may be July - but probably not much later:

    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1155211
     
  10. mush10 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2008
    #10
    I am in the same spot. I am waiting only because we are so close. I was at the Apple store today and was tempted to just get one, but I do not think it makes much sense not to wait. I am not as concerned about the processor for my needs as what are the other upgrade factors (RAM, Keyboard, Ports). I may very well decide to go with the price dropped C2Duo after the Sandy Bridge, but I at least want to have some options as painful as it is.
     
  11. Macalaka macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Location:
    Charlotte, NC
    #11
    If you don't absolutely need it within the next 30-60 days, I would wait.
    Back to School promo will be cranked up and so will the new SB MBA's.
    Wait it out if you can. If you absolutely need it business wise, do what you have to do.
     
  12. rlu929s thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    #12
    Thanks for the tips. I was in Best Buy today and looked at them and played around with the the 11" and 13". Pulling up the same programs etc...yeah the 13" does have a little more real-estate, but when you fold them up and carry them...the 11" is so much easier. It's almost like an 11" feels like a IPad where the 13" actually feels like I"m lugging around a notebook PC.

    My plan is with the poster above. I might end up getting a C2D version, but I'll wait a few more months until something else happens and hopefully I might pick up a 64GB 11" with 4GB RAM around $600 or so (wishful thinking)?
     
  13. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

    Cheffy Dave

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2007
    Location:
    Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    #13
    Kinda, they are $929 +tax now in the refurb store:eek:
     
  14. Obi Wan Kenobi macrumors 6502

    Obi Wan Kenobi

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2011
    Location:
    London, UK
    #14
    Wait

    At this stage, it is wiser to wait. The Sandy Bridge update is only a few weeks away, and the MBP tests showed a significant speed bump when that update came to them.

    However, don't expect a backlit keyboard or longer battery life. It's too soon for that to improve.
     
  15. southnc macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2010
    #15
    Definitely WAIT if you can - the current MBA C2D CPU is already TWO generations behind. So, movement to the new SandyBridge / Thunderbolt configuration should be a very big deal.
     
  16. FX4568 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2010
    #16
    Uhm...
    If waiting is always the bets choice.
    Core2duo with NVidia 320m is just... amazing
    If you will do at least some gaming, dont expect much from the SB, and seeing how sony might fragment thunderbolt. The future of it looks very dim.
    Buy what suits your needs.
    Also, SB will be hot, not "hot" as in "sexy" but "hot" as in literal "hot"
     
  17. aneftp macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2007
    #17
    The bigger question is what if there is no macbook air update in June/July?

    Than what do you do?

    MBA updates have been very sporadic.

    But I do agree since we may be within 30-60 days of an update, to just wait it out.

    If there are no updates by July and you really want one, go the refurb route to get the best value.

    As for those of us current generation owner. The MBA air (I have the 13 inch 4GB RAM model) is amazing. It's fast, battery life is outstanding on the 13 inch. I get 6-7 hours consistently between full charges.

    For basic tasks (word processing, internet, email)...basically what 80% of what NORMAL people do everyday, I doubt the SandyBridge update will dramatically improve performance.

    Maybe those who intend to use more CPU intensive tasks will see improved performance with the update...but I have my core i7 iMac for those tasks.
     
  18. Duke15 macrumors 6502

    Duke15

    Joined:
    May 18, 2011
    Location:
    Canada
    #18
    I personally use my laptop for mostly streaming videos, downloading videos, browsing the internet, basic photo editing with photoshop and wrtting documents. From what I've gathered from most posts so far is that the HD3000 will be either on par or slightly worse than the 320. How much will this affect watching movies and streaming/downloading HD movies from the internet? Im not in any rush to by so I can wait. Which would be the better choice?
     
  19. retrorichie macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2011
    #19
    WWDC is in a couple of weeks. I would wait until at least until then--there might be some kind of announcement about the latest Mac releases in mentioning the surge in sales, and they might talk about a Air spec bump at that point.
     
  20. calvol macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    #20
    Wait if you want a dual-purpose computer and frying pan. SB thermals are peaky with turbo-boost, which will probably kick in a lot with any graphics intensive program.
     
  21. Duke15 macrumors 6502

    Duke15

    Joined:
    May 18, 2011
    Location:
    Canada
    #21
    Yeah i think I will wait, luckily for me I have that convenience. If they do decide to go with the ULV chips just announced then I would think that the 13 inch will have a seperate GPU chip seeing as its only 17W. But it does seem unlickly that they would have a discrete GPU in the 13 inch and not in the 11 inch as it is pretty much impossible without raising the TDP too high. Im assuming theyll go with the 25W LV chips instead.

    It will be interesting to see how it matches up against the current gen.
     

Share This Page