Another Silly Front Facing Video Camera Thread...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevin, Jun 16, 2008.

1. stevin macrumors regular

I think this is the first thread I've started on macrumors. iLounge has a picture of the new marware cases for the new iPhone 3G.. and... there is definitely a cutout for what looks like could be a front facing camera in the same location as the controversial mobileme demo grease print rumors.

Here is a pic for your enjoyment... and thoughts..

linky.. http://www.marware.com/PRODUCTS/iPhone-3g-cases/Sport-Grip-for-iPhone-3G

Also, if you take a look at the link they have a picture of it in slim-profile... it has a metal volume control button.. so they might have a real model... in which case maybe there is a reason to still hope

Attached Files:

2. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

3. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

the new iphone's already been released, maybe next revision...

4. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I think this was confirmed to be two proximity sensors. It was posted on front page of MR a few days ago.

5. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

yes, and iLounge's first look at the 3G iphone also says:

so the cut-outs on that sensor are most likely to accommodate those sensors. i think we seriously need to put this front-facing camera rumor to bed - there is NOTHING to substantiate it at this point, especially since the 3G iphone has already been officially announced. :rolleyes:

6. jreed macrumors newbie

Ok, so its not a camera, but why is the sensor shaped like a camera instead of a thin strip like the other. I know nothing about technology except how to use so its just a question.

7. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Because the thin strip is two sensors vertically, while the other is one sensor.

8. jreed macrumors newbie

Ok. Thanks

9. stevin thread starter macrumors regular

Yea.. I guess I'd have to agree.. we can put the rumor to bed... The cutout just looked like the perfect location to put a camera.. I actually don't know why they'd put a sensor way out there.. seems retarded

I was aware that the 3 proximity sensors were confirmed as well as the J shape.. I just wanted to hope

10. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i know what you mean. although i'm quite sure i would rarely have the opportunity to use a front-facing camera for video-conferencing, it would be quite neat to have!

11. srent5 macrumors member

srent5

As much as I would like the extra hole in the case to be for a camera, I highly doubt it will be a hidden feature apple is hiding from us. And as much as everyone is hoping for the camera, I would expect an additional monthly charge for the service. If everyone is already upset about the added fee for 3G, I could only imagine the additional complaints.

12. stevin thread starter macrumors regular

I've thought abou that ... it seems att is just as greedy as possible.. While I don't think that vid conferencing would be useful right away. I'm pretty sure that all friends and family with iPhones would video chat every now and again..

Would def be huge for a long distance relationship.
    (not that I'm in one)

Just think about the ridiculous amounts of bandwidth it would eat up!

13. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

14. srent5 macrumors member

srent5

the video recorder for jailbroken iPhones is a great indication of a simple software upgrade for software 2.0, which still gives me hope. But for video conferencing, the lack of the camera in front would prove to be a little difficult to get used to if someone creates a hack for a two way video conference.

15. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

But nothing like what this thread is about......

16. stevin thread starter macrumors regular

Lets not kid ourselves here.. I am damn near certain that it won't be too difficult to use some periscope system and use the rear camera for video conferencing ...

(It's been done before.. a few months ago)

I've used the video recorder on my Iphone 2G and first of all its not great... secondly.. the reason i wanted apple to add the video camera is because I'd like apple to create the software for it.

Maybe iPhone 4G will have one :eek:

17. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

heheheheee.... I can't resist.

I was talking to an Apple CSR the other day. and she accidentally mentioned the phone having 2 cameras. She was new, and nervous, so take it for what it's worth, but no BS, an Apple CSR asked me if I had the version with 2 cameras when discussing the differences between the 2 models.

18. Kupe macrumors member

The fix is in - here and here. Very professional! ;)