Another Site Critique for my blog theme

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by geekindisguise, Apr 1, 2009.

1. geekindisguise macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

I finally got off my lazy but and started working on my Metal Blog Theme. I made the mockup of it a long time ago, but I had a lot of school work and never really felt like doing it, but now I finally did! Please tell me whatever you think about it and tell me what is wrong. Remember I am still working on it, so something things might not work or they might look weird or something. I am constantly making changes but it would be best if I started asking for constructive criticism.
    Thanks!

http://jakes.is-a-geek.com/users/example_wordpress/

2. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

I find the font size too big and bold and the background really slow to load.

3. geekindisguise thread starter macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

I tend to always have problems with my fonts. What would be better? And which ones? All of them?

4. dantherevelator macrumors regular

Consider a little white space. Give the post some room to breathe (more contrast wouldn't hurt, either.). Try taking the font-size down to like 13px and add a little line height.

edit: Check the validator, there's a few things to iron out in there.

The hover background on the header links is nice, though.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Consider fixing a width for your divs. Resizing a window (in FF3) messes up some of the elements (like the sidebar).

I also do not like the white text on gray background, and your text, especially in the content section, needs some left padding. Navigation links are too big in my opinion.

But overall I think you've got a really nice concept going.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

In terms of font size for the content, it might be a touch big. I think it's because of the specific font. I usually find most sites use too small of fonts. The font just feels a little bold for some reason.

That's all for now.

7. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

I agree with the comments about the font and text size (too heavy and too large).

Your background image is a 245KB GIF file, which as smurfjammer said is causing it to load slowly. I just quickly took it into PS and ImageReady and produced a 52KB JPEG with no discernible loss of quality, which would speed things up.

You could improve things further by creating a background image that's horizontally repeated (same way your navigation background is just a 1x64px PNG repeated horizontally) - I think you could recreate that stainless background effect with about a 100x768px image repeated. Then your file size is tiny.