Another speaker thread

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by munson, Jul 8, 2008.

1. munson macrumors 6502

munson

Okay, similar to this post :http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=511037 I, too, need to purchase some new speakers.

Here's the situation: I know enough about speakers, and I know the difference between monitors, 2.1 systems, various other ratings of surround sound, what fidelity is, etc.

I need to get a decent set of speakers for a relatively small amount of money. I have no real cap on price, I am looking for a really good value. I currently only have the built-in speakers on my iMac. (sad, I know) I do not really plan to do any hi-fidelity audio editing, however, I do have a lot of music in the Apple Lossless format, and I need something that can play all of the small subtleties in this music. I do not want something that is overly bass-heavy or had a severe lack of bass. I listen to all of my music without an EQ setting, since I am a strong believer in listening to it as it was mixed in-studio.

SO. Taking all that into account, throw some suggestions of some speakers systems please?

2. MacPM8 macrumors regular

I was just in the same position as you a week or two back and I ended up going with the Harman Kardon SoundSticks II. I cannot be happier with the purchase, the clarity in these sound amazing. They look a little different as well which may not be something your looking for but the sub design is really nice. Its overall a very nice speaker system and you can get it for ~$100 at online stores. Its confusing so take your time, good luck.

3. waynesun macrumors regular

waynesun

If you want very amazing value, I highly recommend the Swans M10s. Be forewarned, however, the sub is directional (meaning the best placement for it would be on your desk - with your monitor placed above it). It's a very ****** predicament, but if you're willing to go the distance for some VERY nice mids/highs and awesome sound quality (I auditioned my violin teacher's Bose Companion 5's - Swans easily kicked their asses), then Swans M10 is the way to go!

You seem like an SQ man, but if you're looking for a more attractive option because the sub-on-desk setup doesn't hold water.. try looking up the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s.

Eye candy: http://flickr.com/photos/waynesun/2611835986/
    Retailer: http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?products_id=89

4. munson thread starter macrumors 6502

munson

I think I might go with the HArmon/Kardon Soundstick II's. I'm not sure how feel about a sub being directional... That idea confuses me, since low end sound is pretty much omni-directional by nature.

5. waynesun macrumors regular

waynesun

It's omni-directional for downfiring subs (and those that are powerful enough). The Swans M10 sub is not one of them. However, if you don't have the ear to hear the difference.. then I don't think it will matter.

The sub itself has a much more intimate sound when it's placed right in front of you. Granted, it's not as powerful as the competition's offerings.. but you said you wanted SQ, and these sets do deliver. I've had sets of bookshelves and monitors prior to these swans (I used to record, mix, and master).. and the selling point is the fact that they're a fraction of the size of a normal monitor.. yet they possess similar, if not better sound quality.

I would not recommend the HK SoundSticks (auditioned them at the NY Apple Store.. they sounded very muffled in comparison to the Swans. Only set remotely close were the Bang & Olufsen 2.0's - those are way out of range in terms of price).

However, if you've already made your choice.. then I hope you enjoy your HK Soundsticks!

6. munson thread starter macrumors 6502

munson

I have not yet made a choice. I wish there as some place I could go to test out the speakers that you speak of. (haha, a pun) Could you link me to a place with a decently low price? I want to see if you might be able to know a better place to buy than myself.

7. II AndyG33 II macrumors regular

II AndyG33 II

Personally,
    i think the best deal is the Logitech Z2300's
    they're about 100 bucks at tiger direct by me
    and they have decent highs and amazing lows
    CNET gave them an extremely good rating

However,
    i plan to buy Bose Companion 3's
    i really enjoy good highs
    and those speakers have the best highs i've ever heard
    but they're $250

8. MacPM8 macrumors regular

9. Xavier macrumors 68020

I just bought the same set, Swan M10's, and am very pleased. They sound great, replacing my old JBL Creatures. Yes, the Sub is directional, but it was small enough for me to place on my desk, just like waynesun. The base is outstanding for it being directional, and the sound is amazing for the price. I would give the Swan M10's a shot.

10. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

You wouldn't go for the Sound Sticks if you really cared about sound, they're some of the worst 2.1 speakers I've heard.

As far as pure out-and-out performance goes, you're best off looking for a good pair of bookshelfs and a matching amp. I very very strongly recommend B&W (Bowers & Wilkins), they're quite possibly the most respected speaker manufacturer in the world. If you don't want a pair of speakers, you can always look at getting a Zepplin - they're goddam impressive bits of kit. True hifi in an iPod dock, and it's got pretty impressive connection capabilities too (digital audio input on top of the usual analogue inputs etc...)

If you do want a pair of bookshelfs, have a search for Bowers & Wilkins on ebay. There's a pair of their latest bookshelfs listed at the moment, the 685s. You may find them a little large for a desk though.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

12. munson thread starter macrumors 6502

munson

UPDATE:

I just got my Swan M10's that I ordered about a week ago now, and they are a pure EARGASM with my high quality sound (I ripped Silverchair's Young Modern at the Apple Lossless quality, and I don't regret it ONE BIT.

Plus, check out the price of them here:
    http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?products_id=89

$82!!!!!

You simply cannot beat this sound system for that price, but only through August, so get them soon!

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Def. a good choice...too bad my brother blew them out....

14. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Using an equaliser setting is a must if you own decent speakers - every speaker, and even the cable (whether it is nickel or copper) will affect the bass and presence of the sound.

Also it varies from song to song - for dance beats, I like to have my sub woofer up loud, but cut out the low mid's so you feel the beat more, then boost the treble slightly so there is more of a presence in the sound.

Different people like different settings - some of my friends don't like to hear the bass as much, where I love to hear and feel the bass.