Another spill thread, but with a twist.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GMacDaddyTPO, Nov 28, 2007.

1. GMacDaddyTPO macrumors newbie

Well, the beginning of the story is the same. There was a drink too close to my Macbook, and it fell. :(

Anyways. I took out the battery, unplugged it, and let it sit for a day. After letting it sit (and missing out on studying for a quiz :mad: ), I turned it on, hoping for the best.

Well. It was bad. It booted up (after quite a wait), and the keyboard was completely unresponsive (bad...)

I shut it down, and let it sit again.

After another day, I turned the old bird again, not expecting anything. Left, and came back. Touched the keyboard, and it woke up the screensaver!

But wait, you were dead?

But it is alive! Sort of.

Everything works, except for the "r" key, the "4" key, "F4", and "caps lock."

Annoying, but ok.

So I took it into the Apple store to see what they could do. The Genius looked at it, and said a diagnostic needs to be done. Well, I need my computer for finals this week, so I asked him what the worse case senario would be when I brought it back.

He said that a top case replacement would be upwards of $300. I don't have this kind of money!

Does anyone have any other options I have here? Will my other keys just "magically" start working like the rest of them did?

Any support is greatly appriciated.:apple:

2. wildwobby macrumors member

Doubt the other keys will come back... well, the only thing you can really do is not use the r key (the 4 and F4 key shouldn't be as hard not to use...). If you ever NEED to type an 'R' I guess you can keep an 'r' in your clipboard and :apple:+V it instead...

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Need doesn't come into it. There's no way you can get away with not typing an 'R' at some point.

4. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Only other choice is to look for the top part and keyboard on line...ebay and other places. Could probably find it cheaper and to the replacements yourself. Lots of videos online to do this......

5. eman macrumors 6502a

All the keys you mentioned can be popped off and cleaned. If the liquid spill was a sugary drink, this can make the keys stick. There all tutorials on the internet that can help walk you thru the procedure of cleaning the keys. If worst comes to worst, buy a used keyboard (top case) off the net. They can be had for about $45 and swapping out the top case is easy.

6. mikelong622 macrumors 6502

You could buy an external keyboard. Probably your cheapest option.

7. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Yeah just carry an external keyboard on you all the time. It cant be THAT bad.

8. minutePulsation macrumors member

minutePulsation

$50 on ebay... I bought one just to slap in my last macbook while my other one was out being painted. Very easy to swap.

9. GMacDaddyTPO thread starter macrumors newbie

I did do this, and they still don't work. I'm guessing they're fried.

I looked up replacing the top case online, and you're right, it does look simple.

I think that's the route I'm going to take.

Thanks for all the input.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

seconded

11. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

interesting story...

my brother had a TiBook, last year when in Arizona, he got caught in a monsoon. anyway, it got soaked. stopped working, now, despite being STUPID he put it in the oven and baked it for a while. low and behold, it worked!

then...

the screen stopped working. so he quite literally TORE the screen off. no screwdriver, nothing, just tore it off. plugged it into an moniter and still uses it to this day!

just thought I would share.
    A