Another SSD question thread :)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sam2428, Jun 30, 2011.

1. sam2428 macrumors 6502

Hey all, I apologize if this has been posted before but I could not find what i was looking for by searching.

I am planning on purchasing an iMac soon and would like to have an SSD boot drive to store OS and apps. I dont think $600 is worth it and will probably do it myself or pay an Apple authorized service center. What I am curious about is the size/capacity of the SSD. If i am just using it as a boot drive, then i dont really need 256GB....

1. What size SSD would be good to use? (I know 32GB and 64GB SSD's are relatively cheap)

2. Will i regret going with a smaller capacity drive? i.e. what other uses/benefits would I have if i am storing all my data and files on a HDD?

FYI: my uses are a little bit of everything. I do a small amount of video and photo editing, and a little music production (all hobbies) on the side.

3. Would storing video/music files on SSD make workflow faster for say Logic or Final Cut? (These files can get rather large). Or is there any benefit for keeping files on an SSD while working on it, and then moving it over to the HDD?

Sorry for my ignorance, I have never had and SSD before.

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

1) nothing smaller than 100 gigs

2) not as much as you think

3) no.

More ram would be more beneficial.

So $200 + $100 install?

3. mac.tastic macrumors member

25GB minimum. 64GB is plenty.

No. None.

Maybe. If used for 1080p, you might notice a little less lag. for youtube, SD or 720p, no.

4. rikbrown macrumors regular

Why not? I'm very comfortable on 80gb, and some of that is going to Bootcamp!

5. sam2428 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies guys. Obviously there is a difference in opinion as to what size SSD should be used.

If 64GB is plenty or as rikbrown says, he is perfectly happy with his 80GB...Why even bother with a 256GB? (for those using it primarily as a boot drive).

I could understand a 256GB if it was your primary/only drive, but with a 1 or 2 TB HDD...whats the point?

(I am more curious to know the "why" more so than just a yes or no answer)

6. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

I got 256Gb so I can divide it equally for both OSX and Windows 7 to install OS and software.

I think 120Gb is the sweat sport for capacity and price right now. Anything less than 80Gb is a bit limited today as you should leave 20% free for the OS and SSD maintenance.

I'm sure there are people happy with 60 and 80 GB SSD. But if you are in the market today for a SSD, then 120 Gb is a good choice in my opinion.

7. mac.tastic macrumors member

Apple uses 256gb because their computers are perceived as a "luxury" device, anything smaller wouldn't fit in with the image.

8. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

You can most certainly survive off a boot drive much less than 100 GB....Lion will come in a download of just 4 GB, which will probably expand to less than 10 GB.

Not including Bootcamp partition, I highly doubt the majority of people are running 60-70 GBs of apps.

Wow, so you mean all those college students and hipsters I always see sitting around in coffee shops with Macs are luxury customers? :eek:

Hmm, no. SSD in 256GB in aftermarket cost about that much now on Amazon, Newegg, etc. It's simply called a BTO, and no one is forced to purchase one when buying a Mac.

9. mac.tastic macrumors member

That is the very definition of who they are.

college |ˈkälij|
    noun
    1 an educational institution or establishment, in particular
    • one providing higher education or specialized professional or vocational training

hipster 1 |ˈhipstər|
    noun informal
    a person who follows the latest trends and fashions.

10. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

I've heard many justifications for installing SSD over normal HD, but never heard people install one to get the "right" Apple image. :D

Mind you I'm not saying you are wrong, I know some people always buying top of the range Apple models when lower spec suites them fine.

I think Apple choose the 256Gb SSD because its the sweet sport in maximum profit. They can get them dirt cheap in volume, and charge the buyer the maximum price.

To offer 512Gb will be out almost anyone's price range and they will not get them cheaply in volume. The 128Gb probability will not return enough profit.

11. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

The definition of college and college students are very different. ;)
    Professional is not a description I'd label most undergraduate students.

Speaking from a postgraduate student recent experience in his late 20s.

12. mac.tastic macrumors member

Nope. College students either go for the "party" or "education". Both of which have a very strong "better than every one else" mentality, especially during their first and last years. But once they hit the real world that mentality usually drops off real quick.