Another SSD question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by msindt19, Dec 2, 2011.

1. msindt19, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

msindt19 macrumors member

msindt19

I've read the article pertaining to SSDs being used in the optibay and according to this picture
    SSDpic.jpg
    it comes with a 3 1/2" 'rack' to secure the SSD in the MBP.

Will this 'rack' suffice for securing the SATA II SSD in place of the optical drive? If not, which is the best enclosure/caddy to keep the SSD securely in place?

Thanks

EDIT: I tried to edit the title to make it a bit more specific but it won't allow me, could a moderator please change my title?

2. simsaladimbamba

That rack is meant for mounting the SSD inside a desktop computer, which normally uses 3.5" HDDs instead of 2.5" HDDs.
    Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find dozens of threads about the optibay adapters out there:
    [​IMG]

I use one from www.hardwrk.com, but there are cheaper ones out there, but also more expensive ones, like the ones from OWC/MacSales or MCETech.

3. msindt19 thread starter macrumors member

msindt19

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The biggest problem is actually not the mounting. Those SSDs emit hardly any heat, are very light and alread in the right size. You could just stuff it in there and put some paper towels around it so it doesn't wobble around.
    The problem is you need an SATA to mSATA Adapter. That stuff cost maybe some 50 cents in production. The most convenient soltion is to just buy some caddy with the adapter on it from ebay. If you look hard you can find them for 15 bucks or so.
    Don't waste you money on MCE optibay and those ripoffs.
    All you need is that adapter and that is really nothing special and some way to keep the SSD in place so it rattle around in there. The latter is really easy as there isn't a whole lot of space.