Another SSD thread - 240gb and up - Just need some advice!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peapody, Dec 26, 2010.

1. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

So I am finding myself extremely cramped on my 160gb intel x25m, so I am looking to go to the next size up - 240gb or bigger. I have been looking at bang for the buck ssds, and found that OCZ vertex 2s are generally very highly regarded. Looking at bench marks it is one of the top rated as well. Right now the price is around my max - $440ish. I just want to make sure I am not missing any other options out there for my price range. I am sure you guys out there will know more than me!

Have I missed any other options? I am looking to spend $400 at the most for a 240gb+ ssd to go in my macbook pro. Thanks in advance! :eek:

2. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Buy an optibay ;)

I have 120GB SSD and a 640GB HDD all internal.... it's AMAZING!

3. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Owc works with macs better than Ocz but it is around $520. That's an option for you though.

4. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Check out my signature. I have 160gb in an optibay and 500gb for purely media. The SSD has bootcamp installed which is why I find space lacking. I would upgrade to 640gb on the harddrive bay but it is not needed right now, and I am not sure if they come in 7200rpm like my current drive.

That is a great suggestion - and one that I was looking at too. $520 is steep but it is an excellent drive. I don't want to spend too too much since I expect prices will drop early next year. Thanks for the heads up!

5. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

$494 with Amazon Payments checkout, and you can get a free USB enclosure and toolkit with it. Just got one and it's great.

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

The Vertex 2 actually is the SSD with one of the most problems in Mac users in a spreadsheet I am making right now. OWC has the fewest. This is not counting the inherent sleep issues with the SandForce controllers which should be fixed by OWC in Q1 2011.

Price wise, doing 2 smaller SSD's instead of 1 larger SSD can save you hundreds of dollars and then you have even more redundant security of two really durable hard drives. A second HDD would work too but I'll personally never buy a HDD again as the money on the SSD is, statistically and personally speaking, well spent.

7. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Wow that is really interesting. I will have to do some research on that. My search on the forums have yielded a lot of happy ocz owners so I am quite surprised to read that. I would do 2 ssds instead of 1 large one, but I already have a large capacity drive that I use for media access which is really important to me. My mac is a media machine for me - so it must hold all 300 movies, 10,000 songs, and 100gbs worth of games.