Another SSD thread but a new question!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itismelee, May 4, 2015.

1. itismelee macrumors newbie

I finally decided to upgrade my MacBook Pro 15" mid 2010 with an SSD drive.

The old hard disk is 500GB and it's divided with Bootcamp for both Mac OS and Windows.

My question is:

Can I get a 1TB SSD hard drive and still copy everything to it?

If so, would the new divisions in the SDD be proportional to the old hard drive divisions by size, or one division will take the extra space, or I'll run into a problem?

2. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

I'd go for a Samsung 850 Pro if you can stretch to it and yes you can copy everything across. Just caddy up the old one and copy your data over using a USB adapter/enclosure. Or are you talking about cloning?

I'd also use it as an opportunity for a completely clean build.

3. itismelee thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I'm thinking of Samsung 850 Pro 1TB.

And yes I was asking about the new divisions proportion if I want to clone the old HD.

Since the new SSD will have double the size, will it be divided into two parts that are promotional to the old HD if I clone it?

A clean build is a better idea though, but I'm just wondering about how cloning would go.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP wrote above:
    [[ Can I get a 1TB SSD hard drive and still copy everything to it? ]]

My opinion only.

I, too, have a 2010 MacBook Pro.
    I just don't think it's worth spending the $$$ for a 1tb SSD for a 5-year-old machine.

500gb -- well, ok.

You should realize up front that you're NOT going to get "the full level of performance" from ANY SSD you put into a 2010 MacBook, because [I believe] the internal SATA bus is only SATA-2, not SATA-3.

So -- even a cheaper (i.e., not "best you can buy") SSD will yield performance that is as "perceptibly equal" to that of the top-level models.

Considering the cost of a new 1tb SSD, it's almost worth taking that $$$ and putting it towards a new retina MacBook Pro...

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, you can copy everything over to the new drive. But you will need something like WinClone to copy over the Windows partition.

The new partitions on the new drive will whatever size you want to make them before you clone the data over. So for example, if you want you can have 700GB for OS X and 300GB for Windows.

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- I agree with this, with the small addition that you can get the full level of performance from an SSD in a 2010 machine if that SSD is SATA II. :)

Although an exceptional drive, the 850 Pro is a huge waste of money for that machine, as you'll only be able to take advantage of 50-60 % of its performance - but this holds true for most modern SATA III SSDs (at least in the 1TB sizes).
    Consider a cheaper drive like the 850 EVO or even a Crucial BX100.

Putting the best of the best (which the 850 Pro is) into a SATA II machine is quite a lot of overkill.

7. itismelee thread starter macrumors newbie

Good to know about SATA II and III and the difference in performance.

And yes 1TB is darn expensive! 500GB is the way to go.

Thank you guys!