Another stinkin RAM thread

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
1,065
0
Dallas
So... I just wanted to make sure that people are still having good luck with OWC ram in PMs...

I saw that the following RAM is only 80 bucks from OWC:
Samsung 512MB 184 Pin PC3200 DDR SDRAM DIMM

It claims to work in Dual 1.8 PM (rev B).

$80.00 per DIMM seems much nicer than $150.00 from Apple. (yes I realize I need to buy in pairs)
 

Nermal

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
18,752
1,218
New Zealand
The memory you buy from Apple is Samsung too, I bought some from MemoryX and didn't have any problems with it (until I overheated it, but that's not the memory's fault!)
 

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Nermal said:
The memory you buy from Apple is Samsung too, I bought some from MemoryX and didn't have any problems with it (until I overheated it, but that's not the memory's fault!)
No, the memory you buy from Apple is whatever brand Apple has contracted for as a suplier, and that varies week to week and model to model. Many of the G4 Powerbooks have consistently had Samsung DDR SODIMMs, however Mini's, G5s and eMacs can have Hynix (Hyundai), Elixir, Samsung, Micron or IBM DIMMs (among other brands).

The brand name on the chip is no guarantee of compatibility of the module with your particular machine.
 

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
1,065
0
Dallas
Nermal said:
The memory you buy from Apple is Samsung too, I bought some from MemoryX and didn't have any problems with it (until I overheated it, but that's not the memory's fault!)
Ok... how the heck did you overheat the RAM? :confused: :eek: :confused:
 

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
1,065
0
Dallas

kg9ov

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2005
73
0
In front of a computer...
hcuar said:
Samsung 512MB 184 Pin PC3200 DDR SDRAM DIMM

It claims to work in Dual 1.8 PM (rev B).

$80.00 per DIMM seems much nicer than $150.00 from Apple. (yes I realize I need to buy in pairs)
What about Crucial? They have 512MB DIMMs they guarantee will work in the PM for $69.
 

tykles

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2004
88
0
Colorado
hcuar said:
In addition, I've tried Kingmax "value ram" in my PB... it doesn't work.
I beg to differ. I've got a 1GB module in my rev D PB- no problems whatsoever. I'm really satisfied.
 

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
1,065
0
Dallas
kg9ov said:
What about Crucial? They have 512MB DIMMs they guarantee will work in the PM for $69.
I thought about Crucial, but I'm concerned about the heat spreaders. I remember hearing about problems with them and Macs??? Is that true?
 

VAmin

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2004
60
0
There's a really good article about mac compatible ram sticks and the best prices for them at:
<http://www.anandtech.com/>
Just click on the apple tab at the top. There are also some really good articles about macs from a PC-users perspective.
 

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
903
10
Minnesota
My PB is way old, but it has a plain old 256 meg Kingston ValueRam stick in there and it works like a charm.
 

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
1,065
0
Dallas
Xeem said:
My PB is way old, but it has a plain old 256 meg Kingston ValueRam stick in there and it works like a charm.
Mileage may vary on the different brands of RAM. I've had poor luck with Kingston in the past, therefore I avoid it. It might very well work for many people in all sorts of applications. I don't figure the $40.00 savings between Kingston and Crucial is worth the risk... So, I'll probably end up getting the Crucial as pointed out above. :D
 

kg9ov

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2005
73
0
In front of a computer...
hcuar said:
I thought about Crucial, but I'm concerned about the heat spreaders. I remember hearing about problems with them and Macs??? Is that true?
Well, I haven't personally tried any of the memory ordered from Crucial in a PM, yet. I am getting ready to order some for my PM. So, I couldn't answer that at the moment, but I guess I'll find out...
 

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
1,639
0
Cape Cod
hcuar said:
Because... the stats on that DIM are incorrect. ;) They don't match what is required for the PM... In addition, I've tried Kingmax "value ram" in my PB... it doesn't work. Apple requires a very strict set of timings for their RAM. It's not as easy to buy RAM for a Mac as it is for a PC.
Not to be rude or anything, but I don't see how those two sticks of RAM aren't compatible. I guess the only difference is the CAS 2.5 vs 3.0, perhaps that is what your talking about? Or is it because the memory is double sided?

:confused:

I guess I'm too used to the x86 world, being able to pick up (practically out of the dumpster too ;) ) any SD RAM module and put it in my PC and have it work.
 

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
13,697
2,724
Sod off
hcuar said:
Mileage may vary on the different brands of RAM. I've had poor luck with Kingston in the past, therefore I avoid it. It might very well work for many people in all sorts of applications. I don't figure the $40.00 savings between Kingston and Crucial is worth the risk... So, I'll probably end up getting the Crucial as pointed out above. :D
I've had excellent luck with both OWC and Crucial on several different Macs.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.