Another story about great apple service

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shoebobs, Feb 27, 2011.

1. shoebobs, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

shoebobs macrumors regular

When the new MBPs were released last Thursday, I didn't feel it was enough of an upgrade to buy a brand new machine at full price, compared to getting one of the 2010 models at a discount. So, I was lucky enough to snag a base 15" antiglare refurb model for $1399.

My refurb model was delivered on Friday and I have been migrating my data, installing apps, etc over the weekend. This morning however, when I awoke the MBP from sleep, there was some green/purple wavy lines and other artifacts on the screen suggesting a video card issue. The problem went away, but soon came back after watching some HD video. Needless to say I was a bit concerned.

I booked a genius bar appointment for this afternoon and explained the issue when I got there. When we booted up the computer the screen had the green/purple/artifacts issue right away, so the apple employee could see the issue that I was having trouble explaining. He ran a few tests which came back inconclusive and began scheduling the repair. However, before going through and finalizing the repair request, he asked me to wait a few more minutes as he wanted to speak to a manager about other options. When he came back, he was carrying a box containing a brand new, sealed top of the line 2010 15" MBP. He explained that he had been pushing to try to get me the 2011 model, but the manager would "only" let him give me this 2010 model. It was the last 2010 antiglare model they still had leftover, and if they didn't have that, they would have sent mine in for repair. I was thrilled, couldn't care less about getting the 2011 model, and thanked him profusely.

The model that I bought was a 2010 refurbished 2.4ghz i5, 320gb HDD, NVIDIA 330M with 256mb GDDR3 SDRAM.
    The model they replaced it with was a sealed 2010, top of the line 2.8ghz i7, 500gb HDD, NVIDIA 330M with 512mb GDDR3 SDRAM.

This is why I only have apple computers and have started to get my parents/brother to switch. I never once throughout the entire appointment even came close to requesting a new one to replace the refurb, because I truly didn't expect that to happen and because I didn't think this warranted/deserved a new replacement. I just tried to be courteous and help him as best possible to diagnose the issue. I even signed the papers giving them permission to perform the repairs and was ready to walk out the door until he asked me to wait a bit longer. Apple's service is truly second to none.

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

There is no such model; that 512MB is dedicated vRAM.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

enjoy your new Mac ... it is a great time to buy a re-furb

cheers

4. shoebobs thread starter macrumors regular

Shows what I know :)
    Post edited to correct this

5. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Now you got more than you asked for! Awesome!