Another student looking for MB vs. MBP advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by catelliott, Mar 23, 2008.

1. catelliott macrumors newbie

So you've all heard it before, but I'd love some advice.

Here's the deal:

-strong interest in visual arts (photoshop and/or illustrator are a must)
    -general use: email, word processing, internet, DVDs, music, some video editing
    -no interest in gaming
    -cost difference btwn MB and MBP isn't an issue
    -need the computer by August (but would love to have it sooner...)

I want something that will suit my needs and will keep me happy for a number of years.

Advice?

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Get the MacBook. It does everything you need it do and is a much better size than the Pro for carrying around daily. It also has a far better design in my opinion and the keyboard is much better.

3. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Well if cost isn't an issue get a MBP. Simple as, you will have a much nicer experience with a MBP and it will last you longer in next operating system wise, plus if there is a chance you get into gaming you're covered.

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I disagree with the post above. Go with the MBP if cost is not an issue. I think the design and keyboard of the MBP are superior. The MBP has a dedicated video card, and you want this computer to last. I just can't see integrated graphics surviving for higher intensive tasks. What if you want to stream a tv show in HD? You say you will do some graphics work.

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

What until the back to school deal starts, for a free iPod. Likely in June or early July.

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I'd go with the MB and pick up a nice 24" external display and Samsung's 500 gig HD to go with it. If you're using Photoshop or Aperture, the two-display features make image editing substantially better. Get a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to go with it and you'll be in great shape.

Of course, if you can get the MBP and an external display, that'd be nice, too.

7. Parsec macrumors member

I have a MBP 17" and absolutely love it. Can't imagine buying my next laptop without backlit keys! And it just looks astonishing.

If money isn't an issue, get a MBP 17" with HD LED screen. If size DOES matter, get a 15". :D

Good luck.

8. catelliott thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

I'll admit that I was leaning towards a MBP just because of my interest in visual arts... I don't know where I'll end up in the next 5 years, but I want to keep my bases covered.

I'm thinking low- to mid-range MBP, and I can upgrade as needed later. Thanks for the help!

Peace.