Price Advice Another student needing advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ezikkiel, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Ezikkiel macrumors newbie

Ezikkiel

hi all, I have seen and read many threads on my questions and just get 50/50 answers. I have just completed 1 out of 4 years at uni and decided I want to type not write my work, I love handwriting stuff but if I lose it, I am STUFFED! So played about on a friends iMac and loved it and I also have an iPhone and iPad so obviously I'm going to get a 13 inch Mac laptop so the air vs pro begins. I get 15% off as a student so the three I am considering are

Air-4gb ram-128gb ssd £720
    Air-8gb ram-128gb ssd £800
    Pro-8gb ram-128gb ssd £860

I was going to go with the 4gb air for my needs of office, Internet, bit of music and some Netflix iTunes movie streaming etc. I have a gaming laptop at home for obviously gaming and anything intense I need but it is windows. This was until I saw some people saying 4gb will do the next 3 years fine and others saying to get 8gb. If I do get the 8gb air I feel I might as well get the pro. As for the extra 60 quid I will get retina and faster ram. I'm also looking for resale value as I'm waiting for Apple todo me a lovely space grey pro that I can drool over. So the Mac I buy now is just until that happens ( whenever that is next year? 5years. Who knows ) sorry to ask a question you have seen thousands of times before but I just need some good advice on the ram etc as the 8gb air seems silly for the little extra I need to go pro thank you :)

2. Ezikkiel thread starter macrumors newbie

Ezikkiel

P.S, I am also concerned about new iOS needing more ram giving me less to use myself :)

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

4Gb will be fine for that use case, however for an extra £140 I'd go with the pro all day long.

The screen is worth that on it's own, especially for Text which seems to be your main focus, I know everyone bangs on about retina for video and photos but for me it is the print-like ultra clear text on everything that I love the most, especially when studying.

Add in the better CPU's and GPU's, HDMI and force touch and it's a no braner in my opinion, at half a pound heavier and actually slightly smaller than the air it is just as portable.

I would say though for that use case look at the space grey 12 inch macbook, it comes with 8Gb and a 256GB SSD and would be fine for you.

4. Ezikkiel thread starter macrumors newbie

Ezikkiel

Cheers bud I am concerned about the M processor not being good enough in a few years time and the screen being a bit too small????

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well it depends, not good enough for what?? If your needs don't change then it'll be fine. But yes the pro has more headroom, better graphics, better 4K support, it should do you fine for the next 5-6 years...

6. Ezikkiel thread starter macrumors newbie

Ezikkiel

Of course the other option I forgot is to buy the non retina MacBook Pro for 772 which has 4gb ram and a 500gb hhd and slowly upgrade. I see it will take 16gb of ram and I could insert a 512 ssd????

It only has 7hour battery life any ideas how much an ssd would improve that too?

Thanks again

7. Ezikkiel thread starter macrumors newbie

Ezikkiel

So i went for the new macbook pro retina 13 with 128 sad xD , had it about an hour xD