Another studid question......

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by sergio vadora, Aug 13, 2008.

1. sergio vadora macrumors newbie

May be you can think I'm a little paranoid, but better be safe than sorry!
    Are the speakers inside the car (to listen music or radio) dangerous for tapes? Any case of damaged images if tapes are close to them? They have enough megnetic field to damage dv tapes?
    Thanks.
    Sergio

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

3. adversecamber macrumors regular

I disagree - they certainly can damage tapes. Too close and it can cause most data to be destroyed.

4. sergio vadora thread starter macrumors newbie

May be the truth is in the middle: too close could be dangerous....but normally isn't. So which is the minimum suggested distance between tapes and speakers? The volume of the speakers increase magnetic field or not?

CIAO CIAO
    Sergio

5. adversecamber macrumors regular

Larger the speaker, greater the magnetic field, the longer the tape remains next to the speaker, the more chance of damaging the data.

The stuff on a DV tape can be priceless, so the safest thing is to keep them away from anything magnetic.

6. sergio vadora thread starter macrumors newbie

So the best solution will be to put the tapes as far as possible from the speaker.....ok, but will be enough the backseat of the car if the car has speakers front and rear?
    Any personal experiences?

Thanks.
    sergio

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Speakers use permanent magnets. Their fields can't increase over time. I can't imagine that a reputable speaker manufacturer would make product with magnets close enough to its enclosure to do damage. Drivers and their passengers have transported magnetic tape and discs in their automobiles for decades. In a world where people fear cancer from cell phones, this problem would have been the subject of breathless headlines and TV news reports if it anyone suspected a problem. I have never heard or read a single such report by anyone.

If this is a real concern, then you should get a small magnetic compass and move it around the suspect speaker to see if it deflects the compass needle.

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I wouldn't be worried about the magnets in the speakers. The fields are probably too weak, unless you put the tapes right onto the magnets.

A bigger concern would be leaving the tapes in the car (not saying that you're doing that). The heat in the car could damage the tapes, plus they could be stolen ... although that's probably less likely.

Just my thoughts.

ft

9. sergio vadora thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks for the suggestions.
    Now I travel more relaxed!
    CIAO CIAO
    Sergio