Another stupid question, Which graphic card ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mikecorp, Oct 20, 2008.

1. mikecorp macrumors 6502

mikecorp

Hi guys.

I'm lost, I have mac pro 2GHZ 1st generation which came with NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT here is about macPRo http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Pro

I'm asking you if you can give me some advice about the upgrade. I don't have anyone in this S@$ country to talk to, we don't have the Apple store here :(

Well. I do photography and Hd video editing + gaming.
    when I edit photos there is no problem,

Video editing in HD? I have some problems, as the final product (hd quality) is fuzzy, video doesn't play smooth and looks badly rendered. (is it because of the card)?

Gaming: I play now COD 4, cool but in basic settings. No details, when I change resolution or anything then Higher it is not playable.

Bootcamp:Stalker, Crysis all low resolution.

What should I get.
    Is this GeForce 8800 GT 512MB enough to play games in high top everything on my 24' Eizo??

What is the best solution for the future? Should I wait, for an update? Will the new cards be compatible with 1st gen. Mac PRO.

Thanks in advance

M

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

i think the 8800GT for the first gen is your best bet.
    it seems to take care of everything fairly weel for the graphics cards that are out for the generation of macpros.

i have one in my 1st gen now and i love it.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

You might also want to take a look at the ATI Radeon HD3870. It works better for Core Image, and the lag behind the 8800 isn't very much for games. Check barefeats.com for comparisons.

Hope this helps. :)

4. mikecorp thread starter macrumors 6502

mikecorp

What about the new cards!!

Will the new upcoming cards be compatible with my MAC PRO? I just got this one second hand, so I'm getting into this Mac Pro thing!! Thanks for replies

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yes, they would work so long as you can get power to them. Wait until Jan. '09 (MacWorld) for the release of the new Mac Pro to see what new cards have become available.

There is a lot of hope the 4870 and the 280GX will release for the Mac Pro. Wait and see, is up to you. ;)

6. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Any guesses of what cards may be coming in the new machine?

7. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Seems to me that either Apple will go entirely NVIDIA and offer GTX 280 or offer a 4870X2.

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

I kept my speculation to the mid/upper mid end, so the nVidia 280GX and the ATI 4870 would hopefully appear at release (Mac Pro). Assuming Apple follows their recent history, they would look for a low power card for the base model. nVidia could show up here, but I'm waiting until more information hits.

I'm not sure if they'd keep nVidia Quadro at the top though. It's just insanely expensive. :eek: ;)
    According to the last info I encountered, ATI isn't planning to release the 4870X2 for Mac. :( IIRC, it can be found on one of the threads in the forum, and is a little over a month old.

Assuming we can find a version with a large enough ROM, and can get the firmware, the 4870X2 may be able to be flashed. They seem to use a common driver for the ATI cards. ;) A lot to pin one's hopes on though. :eek:

9. mikecorp thread starter macrumors 6502

mikecorp

so much graphic card choice

well, I decided to wait.

I read now hundred pages, test for all graphic cards. I have a headache. The tech repot had really useful information.
    They stating that in these days 512MB on graphic card is not enough. I do HD video, so I guess I need something that would take me over 2-3 years of evolution. There is not point to buy outdated card. I will give it a try to wait till January, have time. Maybe someone will sell me second hand ;)

When is the World Mac expo???

Nehalem will be in next update?

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

mikecorp, Macworld will be held Jan. 1-5, 2009, and Nehalem will appear in the Mac Pro. :)