Another subforum in programming

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by dukebound85, Aug 6, 2012.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I wanted to run this idea by some of you. I know in the programming section, there are 2 forums, relating to mac and iphone.

I was thinking it would be nice to have another programming forum that may be concentrated on techniques, languages, programs, etc that are not necessarily mac oriented.

I know many times. I have general programming questions that I just post in the mac forum, even though they are not mac related.

Thoughts?

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I like this idea. There are lots here who do programming outside of the Mac universe.

3. chown33 macrumors 604

I don't think there's enough on-topic traffic to warrant a separate forum. Simply look at the current threads, classify them as Mac-specific or not, and see for yourself (empirical reality check).

Then consider how long it took to add an "Alternatives" forum under the iPhone, iPod and iPad heading:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103

In the past, I've never seen a shortage of people on the Mac Programming forum who are able and willing to answer generalized non-Mac-specific questions. I've seen questions on python, shell, and other stuff that's not specific to Macs. If a question goes unanswered, I think it's usually because no one knows the answer.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Even though this is a Apple/Mac focused site, we know that some regular users of the site sometimes want to talk about the equivalent non-Apple/Mac topics.

Go ahead and post threads about non-Mac development in the Mac Programming forum. As a general guideline, you should post threads in the "most appropriate" forum, which sometimes mean the thread won't match the exact description of the forum. But that's OK. For example, if you wanted to post about input tablets for your PC, the Mac Peripherals forum is the closest match, so that's a suitable place to post.

Competitors to iOS devices are an exception, since we added the Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices forum specifically for talking about non-Apple products.